RE: [amibroker] Handling Missing Bars in a complex Chart layout

if you want to veiw chart that way, you need to
create artifical symbols using addtocomposite with the pad and align checked and using foreign function.

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Grigg
Sent: Tuesday, 20 May 2008 10:25 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Handling Missing Bars in a complex Chart layout

Hi All,

I have a multi-pane Chart layout that I use both from the AA results window and from the drop-down box at the top of the chart screen.

Some of the securities I trade have missing bars.  In the AA I can set “Pad and Align” and this handles missing bars perfectly.  When I come to display the results of a Chart (with missing bars) the display does not correspond with back-tester results, due to the missing bars.

I have been working with the Foreign and SetForeign commands in chart presentation.  This enables me to show the missing bars, provided I set a reference symbol (say the Index that trades every day) as the “Subject” symbol and make the symbol I want to display the “Foreign” symbol.  This works for a “one-off” test but I have not yet found a way to use it “cleanly” in my system.

Can any-one suggest an AFL coding approach that:

Would allow a symbol to be selected from the drop-down list at the top of the chart pane and would display it in a “pad and aligned” manner (Missing bars shown as dashes at previous close price, with volume at zero).

Would allow a symbol to be selected from the AA results window and have the resulting Chart displayed again in a “Pad and Aligned” manner.

(Behind the scenes there may need to be a process of setting up a reference symbol , e.g. the Index, and then “swapping” the foreign symbol (the index)  and the subject symbol.  Anyway, this has been the approach I have been working on with little success.)

Perhaps there is a better approach?  As a new user of AmiBroker I feel as I am constantly drinking from the fire-hose!

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert