Re: [amibroker] Re: Jake Bernstein Momentum formula

I don't buy that (i.e., "both right, but not at the same time").  When used properly price levels (e.g., S&R, Fibonacci, Gann, etc.) and momentum provide distinctly different information and are not duplicative.  As a result, there is no reason not to use them together and I for one always do.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
From: brian_z111
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:54 PM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Jake Bernstein Momentum formula

As Yuki said, "they are both right, but not at the same time".

The company, and dicussion, around the coffee table is good but as
Ralph Vince said "trading is not an intellectual exercise, it is more
like a street fight".

Forget right or wrong - get in there and beat the heck out of every
opponent (mean reversion, trend trading, Hurst, S/R) what ever comes
along.

(that means work them over with backtesting - what is the most you
can squeeze out of that style e.g. a reversion to mean trade - can
you do better if you change it up a bit - when you reach exhaustion
point with that trade then you know exactly what its limits are - be
honest with yourself - have you really squeezed all of the juice out
of that style - after a while you start to see that sometimes the
same opponent returns in another outfit and you can't be bothered
beating up on the same old foe over and over).

When they are all defeated keep your eyes peeled and your nerves
steeled for any new challengers who are coming along and give them a
hiding too.

P.S. anyone can see my trading biases but they can also see I am
thinking about, and paying respect to, trading styles that don't come
naturally to me.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"
<rockprog80@xxx> wrote:

> Thanks Brian. Indeed, that looks like prehistoric stuff...
>
> BTW, what is your opinion about the S/R breakout vs reversion to
mean
> debate?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis
>
> 2008/5/8 brian_z111 <brian_z111@xxx>:
>
> >   If your trading system rules are based on things like "buy when
the
> > short term moving ave crosses the long term moving ave".
> >
> > The MA is looking back so many periods to make its calculation
e.g. MA
> > (C,15) is looking back 15 periods.
> >
> > If you test a range of MA periods, to select your best MA
crossover
> > system, then you are optimising the lookback period (at least
that is
> > what I mean).
> >
> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis
> > Préfontaine"
> > <rockprog80@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Brian and everyone,
> > >
> > > What exactly do you mean by "optimisation of lookback period"?
> > >
> > > I had a lot of fun reading this thread. I wonder what is better:
> > > support/resistance breakout or reversion to mean. Worked with
> > both; don't
> > > know yet what works better. I've seen people been sure of their
> > opinions,
> > > but I'd like to read some arguments...
> > >
> > > Louis

(EOD,