[amibroker] Re: Fitness Criteria that incorporates Walk Forward Result

There's a simple example of this in the UKB under Intelligent
Optimization ...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Edward Pottasch" <empottasch@xxx>
wrote:

> hi,
>
> "While optimization can be employed to search for a good system via
> methods utilizing automated rule creation, selection and
combination
> or generic pattern recognition"
>
> anyone care to explain how this works?  Some kind of inversion
technique?  Here is what I want now give me the rules to get there :)

> thanks,
>
> Ed

Forward Result

> [...]
>   > Bastardising Marshall McCluhans famous line I could say "the
>   > optimization is the method".
>   >
>   > It is also possible to conceptually optimize the system, before
>   > testing, to the point that little, or no, optimization is
required
>   > (experienced traders with a certain disposition do this quite
>   > comfortably but it doesn't suit the inexperienced and/or those
who
>   > don't have the temperament for it).
>   >
>   > So, if a system has a sound reason to exist, and it is not
>   optimized
>   > at all, and it has a statistically valid IS test then it his
highly
>   > likely to be a robust system, especially if it is robust across
>   > range of stocks/instruments.
>   > The chances that this is due to pure luck are probably longer
than
>   > the chance that an optimized IS test, with a confirming OOS
test,
>   is
>   > also a chance event.
>   >
>   > However, if I had plenty of data e.g. I was an intraday trader,
>   then
>   > I would go ahead and do an OOS test anyway (since the cost is
>   > negligible)
>   >
>   > Re testing on several stocks.
>   >
>   > If the system is 'good' on one symbol, (the sample size is
valid)
>   and
>   > it is also good on a second symbol (also with a valid sample
size)
>   is
>   > that any different from performing an IS and an OOS test?
>   >
>   > For stock trading, I call the relative performance, on a set of
>   > symbols, 'vertical' testing as compared to 'horizontal' testing
>   > (where horizontal testing is an equity curve).
>   >
>   > Yes, if an IS test, with no optimization, beat the buy & hold
on
>   > every occasion (or a significant number of times) in a vertical
>   test
>   > and the sum of that test was statistically valid and the
horizontal
>   > test (the combined equity curve) was 'good' it would give you
>   > something to think about for sure.
>   > If some of the symbols, in the vertical stack, had contrary
>   returns,
>   > compared to the bias of my system, I probably would start to
get a
>   > little excited.
>   >
>   > (I think perhaps you were alluding to something along those
lines).
>   >
>   > BTW did you know that the Singapore Slingers play in the
Australian