Re: [amibroker] Re: Copying/Limiting Database history

Hello,

> I thought AB default was to load a 'few' more bars than required by
> AFL

It does so for indicators, commentaries, tooltip display and interpretations.

It does NOT do so in AA.

Why? It was discussed in the past already.
I am wondering if any other vendor on this planet gives you inside out information
about literally everything. I should probably start saying "because of technical reasons. period".
But OK, lets go over it once again.
There are two main reasons for that:

a) AddToComposite use.
When you create composites you want them to include all data consistently,
not only say one last bar if it happens that you run scan on one last bar only

b) Trading system consistency and accurracy.
Your trading system may rely on indicators that have recursive formulation
(functions like Cum, EMA, AMA) and others having "unknown" lookback period
(ValueWhen). Because of such formulation they use unlimited or nearly unlimited
lookback period. Your trading system results may be severely affected if
you truncate time series. What does not matter for charts (due to display limitations
you can not really see difference of less than 0.5..1% on charts), may be important
if you use trading system. The same also applies for exploration. You probably
want full accurracy.

If AmiBroker truncated data series in AA by default, we would simply get
dozens of e-mails saying "results are inaccurrate/incorrect" simply because
most people are unaware of things like recursion. I have seen people comparing
absolute values of indicators such as Chaikin Oscillator, without understading
its concept of running sum over all loaded bars. Now if AA did not load all data,
they would run the same exploration code with different "start" date and they would
get different result at the same "end" date.

At support we already spend significant amount of time educating on such basic things.

For advanced users, who know what they are doing, there is a pad and align feature
that allows to use artificial ticker to control on how many bars your code is run in AA.
I have posted artificial ticker code earlier. If I implement it in "easier" way, I am still
going to "hide" it from "casual user" because of points rised above.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com