[amibroker] Re: Trading the equity curve

Coincidentally, I've just recently begun trading along these lines,
with good success.  With AB's ability to test and track portfolios it's
relatively easy.

My basic method:  First, I use a stock screener to locate CANSLIM-style
small-caps.  (MSN has an advanced one, free and powerful.  Major
brokerages have them, too, for customers.)  Second, I eliminate foreign
issues from this list, keeping only domestic ones.  I also "eyeball"
all the charts, eliminating stocks with uptrends that are
clearly "broken" but somehow sneaked past the initial screen, anyway.
Third, I *randomize* the list by putting it in alphabetical order by
ticker symbol.  Finally, I choose the first 6 stocks on the list, and
that's the portfolio I work with.  Each issue gets an equal dollar-
amount of money invested.

I swing in and out of the portfolio (long only) using a moving average
of the equity as a "buy" area when the general market (SP500 as proxy)
is strong, and use a discretionary exit, i.e., I think the trade has
made me as much as it's likely to on this particular upswing.

Since the beginning of the year I've hit three wins on three round-
trips, up about 14%.  (Not a brag, because humiliation is only one
trade away for us all, just pointing out the potential, considering
that the SP500 and other major indices are still down for the year.)

I don't do any position-sizing, and just trade the portfolio as if it
was my own personal index.  Only having 6 stocks might not seem like
enough diversification, but it works surprisingly well.

FWIW.

Sebastian