[amibroker] Re: Howard B. Bandy BOOK

> Technical seems to be where my interest lies( probably because of
my
> engineering background), so I will take your suggestion and begin
> increase my library with books that have more emphasis on the
> technical:)

That's Technical Analysis, with a capital T.

Don't believe a word of the criticism that TA is like reading tea
leaves in a cup - nothing could be further from the truth - anyone
who thinks that hasn't spent very long studying TA in earnest.

I am a highly analytical and objective trader (you wouldn't always
think so by some of my posts) - so I am compatible with Howards work.

BTW we haven't seen the best of Howard yet - he still has some
capacity up his sleeve - we won't see him go for broke until his
third book.

I am also a highly creative, cutting edge, trader which makes me
compatible with traders like Herman and Dennis.

I don't have a math background (last maths lesson was at 16 years)
and I am starting to consider learning calculas, just so I can follow
Aronson's and Vince's work, right to the end - that should tell you
how important I think it is to be able to deconstruct and reconstruct
every aspect of trading.

Not knowing your background, I held back on Ralph Vince, but from
your comments you might like him (don't rush at him and get put off
by the difficulty though - you probably need something a bit lighter
to start out - keep working away at him until you get it).
He is the engineers, engineer, when it comes to trading.
He is greatly misunderstood and gets some bad press around the forums.
Very few people have taken the trouble to read him carefully.

go to google books and read the preface to his third book "The New
MOney Management: Framework For Asset Allocation" - in the preface he
talks about the dominant paradigm of trading that defines risk/reward
in two dimensions (y/x axis) and how his third book investigates a
new approach.

Book 1 & 2 are the limit for me at the moment - I was OK up until
book three - my naive maths skills are starting to find me out there
but I will get it in the end.

I don't think there will be any theory left for me, after Vince, but
you never know (he did everything I was trying to do on my own and
then some - he did it way better too!) - I doubt if I need to go any
further than where he went - that is way beyond my original
intentions - had to do it to meet my goals though.

IMO anyone who doesn't understand the core ideas in RV's first two
books is fighting with one hand tied behind their back - they are
also in denial.

Re books:

I am also quite handy at 'trading psychology' hence my opinion that
the best answers you will get are the ones you figure yourself, so
surfing around finding stuff is actually a very good way to learn and
find out what your style is (far better than a book from me) -
unexpected finds are the best (Jung calls it synchronicity).

80% of the books I buy disappoint so I can't say enough about the
value of Amazons 'search inside' and 'google books' where you can see
what you are going to get before you buy.

More importantly you have to like the author, so to speak, and that
is personal choice (be brutal on them - don't pretend to like them if
you really don't - just walk right by their book if it isn't your
flavour).

I like Aronson, for an overview of design and evaluation and Vince
for some 'heavy, heavy fuel' (to paraphrase Dire Straits).

Perry Kaufman is another good logician for a general all purpose
reference book "New Trading Systems and Methods".

I hope to add some grunt to the stats section of the UKB, and add
some of my origianal thinking, when time permits - strictly speaking
I am not a stats man but I find trading to be nothing but applied
stats (if a stats expert comes along and turns up at the UKB that
would be even better).

have fun

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jamesfarrow2003"
<jamesfarrow2003@xxx> wrote:

> Brian_z - Thanks for the great reply.  That seriously may best the
> best reply I have ever gotten on an online request for information!
>
> Up until this point, I have spent my time researching various
trading
> strategies (diviend investing, technical, fundemental, etc).
Looking

<dave_88_1961@