[amibroker] Re: Howard B. Bandy BOOK

Brian_z - Thanks for the great reply.  That seriously may best the
best reply I have ever gotten on an online request for information!

Up until this point, I have spent my time researching various trading
strategies (diviend investing, technical, fundemental, etc).  Looking
through all of the books I have on different strategies made the task
of selecting one a bit daunting.

Technial seems to be where my intrest lies( probably because of my
engineering background), so I will take your suggestion and begin to
increase my library with books that have more emphasis on the
technical:)

Thanks again,

James

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> a good starting point:
>
> Kaufman
> Van Tharp
> Tushar Chande etc,
>
> Search amazon for trading OR system design - stuff like that - then
> see if you can find them at google books and you can read a chapter
> or two to get the flavour.
>
> Don't worry about RalphVince too much, to start with, he is right
up
> near the pinnacle.
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jamesfarrow2003"
> <jamesfarrow2003@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply - I have ordered Howards book, hopefully it
> > will arrive sometime this week.
> >
> > I also had read some of the links you provided, like the user
> guide,
> > and some of the commentary on this site.  However, I was hoping
> > gain a deeped understanding of WHY we want to look for certain
> > values on certain indicators.
> >
> > I will take your advice and try to piecemeal some reference
matrial
> > from the web.
> >
> > James
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello James,
> > >

> > > You can view the contents page of Howard's book and two
chapters
> > at:
> > >
> > > http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com/book.html
> > >
> > > His homepage gives a good summary of what it is about.
> > >
> > > It does include a list of AB's built in metrics plus some
> > additional
> > > ones with a little bit of comment. More importantly Howard does
> > give
> > > an example of how to add a custom metric in the final
> > > chapter "Extending AmiBroker".
> > >
> > > However defining the metrics isn't the books primary objective -

> > that
> > > would take a couple of hundred pages alone.
> > >
> > > The AB User's Guide lists the basic definitions:
> > >
> > > http://www.amibroker.com/guide/w_report.html
> > >
> > > Beyond that there is so much material available by googling
that
> > most
> > > authors probably feel detailed explanations would be redundant.
> > >
> > > They are sometimes discussed in this forum (we have covered
> Profit
> > > Factor, Expectancy, Ulcer Index etc in the last few weeks).
> > >
> > > Sometimes I get good answers from keyword specific searches on
> > this
> > > forum, EliteTraders or the TradingBlox forums.
> > >
> > > If there was a book, just on the defintion of evaluation
metrics
> > > alone out there, then I wouldn't buy it anyway.
> > >
> > > Most of the time I pick up definitions when they are included
in
> > > books on system design and testing.
> > >
> > > Howard has a links page that references some of the better
> > > books/sites and there is also a few links to stats books at:

I'd

They