[amibroker] Re: Philosophical question

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine" <rockprog80@xxx>
wrote:
> I'll stick around and try to get some piece of wisdom and
> maybe I will be able to build something with those that will
> eventually allow me to build the system I want to build!

> > He talks both about moving
> > averages and breakout, and I was wondering which one of the two
> > techniques do you think is the more promising for such a system?

FWIW, I would say that MA and BO systems have the advantage of being
very simple ideas to code.

Using an MA or BO idea will get you quickly past the point of signal
generation and let you concentrate on all the other aspects of
creating and evaluating a system and driving the software.

You can begin to build your code infrastructure with these simple
signals that can be swapped out later for more sophisticated ones.

After testing, you'll get a chance to think about why and how these
systems generally fail (over time) to create the desired profit stream.

Thus, using MA and/or BO, you may gain skill, and be led to a deeper
consideration of market action.  This is all good and will lead you
further.  Just don't expect to make your fortune on simple MA
crossovers or N-period breakouts traded without deeper thought and
further modification.