Re: [amibroker] Re: Migrating AmiBroker to New Vista Machine

Generally speaking any new operating system from Microsoft is slower
than previous simply because it is bigger and this means more time needed to
load the programs/data to memory. As simple as that.
Remember that full installation of Windows 95 (I mean hard disk space occupied)
was just 50MB. That means todays computer could load full OS into RAM
and have hundreds of megabytes free.

Vista install (only Windows directory)  is 8 GB (yes 8 gigabytes).
Windows XP is 2.6 GB.
So Vista is 160 times larger than Windows 95 and 3 times larger than XP.
With such size increase, it must be slower, no matter what Microsoft says in their advertising

Make no mistake however, other systems (like Linux) grow at pretty much the same pace
and they are slower too. Not so long ago 16MB RAM i386 was capable of running Linux with XWindows,
and full distro with docs and everything fitted on single CD.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com