[amibroker] Re: Statistical tests as custom metrics

> > One of the problems we have, in evaluation, is that 'academic'
> > statistics filtered into freelance trading via institutional
> > investing - nothing against academics or institutional traders but
> > their focus is somewhat different to freelance traders.

I think I am showing my biases in this regard.

I want 'applied stats for traders' boiled right down and I guess I am
not entirely happy when I don't get it.

> ... but I'm not sure what you mean with PowerFactor - isn't that a
> concept in electrics?

PowerFactor is my own twist on ProfitFactor - I claim that it is a
more meaningful metric (so far I have only talked about it in a
piecemeal way, via this forum).

Re the signifance of W/L ratios

I checked my files and I still have the Excel files that 'prove'
that, for a no win (random walk) system StandardDev%(W/L ratio) ==
SampleError%, so the standard probabilities for StDev of Normal
distributins can be used to estimate significance (the theory is rock
solid).

I am going to post that file this month (since people are making
important decisions based on the info they get in this forum I will
post the proof).

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thomas Ludwig <Thomas.Ludwig@xxx>
wrote:

> Brian,
>
> thanks for your detailed answer!
>

> > At page 91,in his book, (Entries and Exits chapter) Howard gives
some
> > very good (random entry) examples of how we can get an estimation
for
> > the 'standardized binomial expectancy' of any market i.e. you can
get
> > the mean expected wins for the actual market you are testing your
> > system in and use that in the Z score calculation - I think you
would
> > be better to use random entries with an exit after a set number of
> > days == the average time your system trades are in the market.
>
> That's a good hint - thanks for that.
> >
> > I am still learning AB myself so I am not sure if we can implement
> > Howards Z equation directly in AB - you will probably have to do
it
> > outside somewhere - I haven't figured out how we can get the SD
of a
> > trade series (from a backtest) in AB - anyway we don't have built
in
> > stats tables (I suppose you could manually plug in the typical Z
> > scores).
> >
> > I'm exporting to Excel and doing my evaluations there, but I don't
> > get that fancy.
>
> I also think that it can only be done in Excel (or, perhaps,
> OpenOffice).

> > I think it is a very conservative measure.
>
> Obviously!
>

> > One of the problems we have, in evaluation, is that 'academic'
> > statistics filtered into freelance trading via institutional
> > investing - nothing against academics or institutional traders but
> > their focus is somewhat different to freelance traders.
>
> You're probably right. On the other hand, Arthur Merrill wasn't a
pure
> academic. He was the long-time editor of "Technical Trends" and
> considered a legendary market guru. I mean, he wouldn't have had
that
> reputation if his methods had been of merely academic or
theoretical