[amibroker] Using Excel as a DDE Server

Hi all.

Been reading all the posts regarding excel and DDE and AB.

I'm apparantly like a lot of you. For some reason, we can get data
into excel, but have trouble configuring AB's dde plug in to read the
same data. So we need to use excel as our dde server.

In my case, the live data I am using is in the more current (MS Excel)
form, RTD.

DDE technology was replaced by Microsoft in 2002 with RTD (real time
data) which uses less system resources and is much more reliable.

I guess that means for all of us with inflexible data suppliers, we
need to work around the redundant technology (DDE) that AB uses by
using excel as our data server.

Does that sound like a gripe?

Anyway, why am I here, Oh yeh, to get detailed instructions on how to
use excel as a dde server and configure the AB dde plugin.

I have read all the repeated posts using "the old copy and paste" the

"Hello,

To figure out the correct configuration do the following:
- open MS Excel sheet
- save it locally (save as c:\DDELink.xls)

- now open another instance if MS Excel (from START menu)
- go to the first one, mark the cell you're interested in
- use COPY (CTRL+C)
- switch to another spreadsheet
- Edit -> Paste Special, choose PASTE LINK in the dialog
- check what's the structure of the link pasted.

It will look like:

=Excel.Sheet.8|'C:\DDELink.xls'!'!Sheet1!R1C1'

(R1C1 stands for Row 1, Column 1)
So - now you need to reproduce it in AB configuration:
The above link requires:

SERVER:
Excel.Sheet.8

LAST:
'C:\DDELink.xls'!'{Ticker}'

(note that I've replaced the particular cell with a {Ticker}
template, in order to be able to watch multiple cells in AB)
And then - via Symbol -> New add:
!Sheet1!R1C1

Should you have any further questions - please do not hesitate to
contact us directly at:
support [at] amibroker [dot] com

Best regards

Marcin Gorzynski "

I get how to identify the file.

I have a list of around 300 stocks. I assume I just add these to AB
via symbol new:

   ---  Do I name the ranges or column headings to match AB plug in,
eg ticker, open high low close last etc.

   ---  What then is the syntax for say last price in plug in

this is what I have so far:

SERVER: Excel.Sheet.12
LAST: c:\ddelink.xlsx

would this work??
LAST: c:\ddelink.xlsx!{ticker}!last

Please more detailed information than Marcin anybody!!!

PS, I get the green connect via Marcins method, but can't get any
info into live prices.