[amibroker] Re: Fourier Transforms

BTW - as a rule of thumb I would say that the most common mistake I
see, in the way people approach the market, is to apply indicators
that are based on the view that a structure exists in the market that
underpins that indicator when IMO it doesn't i.e. forcing their view
on the market.

My observation of the market is that it is structureless
(unpredictable) and that I can only react to it rather than impose
myself on it e.g. believing that retracements will go to a discrete,
predictable level is an example of forcing a structure on the market
that isn't there. IMO retracements will exhibit a 'normal' amount of
variance (as far as normality applies to market behaviour).

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> what works and what doesn't makes an interesting and valueable
> discussion.
>
> I could go over to the Elite Traders forum for some color but that
> would place one more job on the daily list.
> I also find that a higher level of trust exists in this forum (you
> get to know the people and also no one has anything to gain
> financially - not to any great extent anyway).
>
> From your recent brief comments we seem to be on a similar
wavelength.

> It is good to see you posting.
>
> Personally I am happy to give away everything, except my core 10%
> that I use to make a living, provided that I have the time to do it.
>
> > very simple things work as long as you apply good risk/reward
> > management.
>
> That is exactly what I have been implying with my recent comments
on
> PowerFactor - the W/L binomial component is subject to sample error
> and variance (we can't avoid the former or control/predict the
> later) - IMO this has bought more people undone than almost
anything
> else - as I showed with upVol/upPrice days, they soon revert to
> breakeven status - many apparent edges found in backtests are a
> mirage created by insufficient data and curve fitting.
>
> On the other hand, ave%W/ave%L is the component of our final
> reward/risk ratio that is not subject to variance and is totally
> under our control (it is managed by us from our stops).
>
> So, effective exits are a 'gimme' in trading - as reliable as
> anything we can find (allowing for a small amount of variance due
> slippage, although IMO that is controllable and works both ways as
> well).
>
> That is why I have recently posted on PowerFactor - because it
> contains the causal components of market outcomes and because
> it 'highlights' the simple fact that W/L is slippery and ave%W/ave%
> is as solid as a rock (all metrics that are compounded directly, or
> indirectly from W/L have the slippery component hidden in ways that
> are very difficult to find).
>
> This trading phliosophy is one outcome of my overall policy to look
> for things, in the market, that are dependable i.e. what can we
find
> in the market that does happen 80% of the time, or more (given that
> the market is nearly a random walk and that most things revert to
the
> binomial mean pretty quickly) e.g. change is almost 100% certain,
> butI have found a few things and made a list of them - they are
gold
> to me - something solid in a quicksand market.
>
> > From a technical perspective, support and resistance never has
been
> > and never will be "curve fitting".   It exists.  It's an inherent
> > part of even a RANDOM event system (as many think the markets are
> > anyway).   It's observable and it's better than a 50/50 edge.
It's
> > not momentum based so you are never LAGGING the market.
>
> I don't think PriceAction trading is limited to S&R - I find many
> different and unique applications (I call my style Dynamic Trading -

> no lookback lagging indicators) e.g. KO talked the other day about
> the 'smoothing' indicator spikes - I consider smoothing to suffer
> from lagging and I am more interested in where the peak fits into a
> typical range - range is a dynamic form of approximating
significance.

> > S&R ......never will be "curve fitting".   It exists.  It's an
> inherent
> > part of even a RANDOM event system (as many think the markets are
> > anyway).
>
> I am not sure what you mean by S&R being part of Random market
> behaviour. I don't think I agree with that.
>
> I consider the market as exhibiting 'random like' behaviour (a
> randome walk with a limp) - human nature leaves its mark on the
> market and that is where we find the edge we can exploit - I have
> posted at least one example of this, if not more, in the past (even
> the recent past).
>
> > FORGET about automated strategies if you are not already a
> >successful
> > market operator.
>
> 100% agree.
>
> The same goes for leveraged trading (even more so).
>
> That is why I consistently plug US equities as the market to cut
our
> teeth on - if we can consistently win there then we can
consistently