[amibroker] Re: (Price * Vol ) as a new indicator?

Here is a simple home made SDI.

The * 100 factor is purely arbitrary (it just produces a number that
we can visually and mentally relate to - the absolute value is not
important - only the relative value.

//P_SDIRelativeROC

SDI = abs(ROC(C,1)/ROC(V,1)) *100;

//Plot(ROC(V,1),"V%change",2,1);

Plot(SDI,"SDIRelativeROC",1,1);

This is only a typical example and not the definitive indicator.

It shows the fun we can have with SD:

a)Which data point best references the price movement - close,
midpoint (averages the price move caused by SD imbalance), ATR(1),
bar range or what?

b) they are volatile indicators

c) if a frequency distribution is done I expect it would be very fat-
tailed (plenty of occasional wild extremes).

I think it also highlights one of the big challenges in TA - how do
we standardise a volatile indicator like that, where one big outlier
in the selected range can markedly where our line in the sand is
drawn (do we use StDev, MA or what to get a handle on where to put a
marker that will mean something when the SDI value hits it?)

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Someday, if time permits, I will post a fuller explanation.
>
> Back to volume:
>
> In my 2 years in the forum I haven't seen a compelling argument in
> support of volume as an indicator.
>
> Here is why I am not excited about it (as an EOD signal).
>
> If a gazillion shares change hands in  one day, and at the close the
> price hasn't moved from the previous day, then all of the interest
> has been soaked up (supply == demand).
>
> Compared to that, if only 1000 shares changed hands for the day,
with
> no movement in price, do we know anything different about the
> possible future price of the stock compared to the above scenario?
>
> However, the situation could change suddenly and unpredictably if
the
> supply/demand balance shifts, for some reason.
>
> Basically, volume is somehow interrelated to supply/demand, but is
it
> causal?
>
> In my thinking so far, it seems that price movement is a more direct
> measurement, of S/D imbalance, than price/volume.
>
> So, my bias, at this stage, is to treat price momentum as a
surrogate
> for volume and not bother with the volume metric (one less to worry
> about).
>
> From there I played around with my own S/D indicators (I know plenty
> of others have done that in the past but I don't know the first
thing
> about their methods).
>
> I used things like ATR/vol, range/vol, ROC%/vol etc to try to get a
> metric of Supply/Demand imbalance i.e. how much is any unit of
volume
> actually affecting (moving) the price.
>
> Understandably, SDI indicators are biased towards days with a small
> movement (range and/or price moves) and we can already see that bias
> from the charts, without the need for additonal indicators.
>
> The problem I have with S/D indicators is that:
>
> a) price is a small number/a very large volume number
> b) %price change is small/a proportonally large % vol change
> c) we don't know, on an EOD basis, where the volume is going
> (millions of shares could change hands during the day, with no price
> movement, and then the last share of the day sells for plus 2% ==
the
> close.
>
> That is where I left off the enquiry, short of going to intra-day
> charts where the SDI (SupplyDemandIndicator) can be pinned to a
time.

> I would be happy to hear from anyone who can point out any
weaknesses
> in my theory that volume as a second rate EOD indicator.
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Here is why I can't get past first base with volume indicators.
> >
> > I have made some quick and dirty changes to Tomasz's Price *
Volume

http://www.traders.com/Documentation/FEEDbk_docs/Archive/072007/Trader