[amibroker] Re: Pattern Searching within AB

Bill,

I have my own concept of waves and cycles but I do agree that as long
as there is sufficient volume they will form, even below daily
timeframes. There is a cut off point though, below which I expect
them to be fragmental, and below that where they don't exist at all.

(I am interested to know what happens below the cut off point as
well).

I have also found that while waves and cycles are generally
characterized by variance there is an underlying sameness about them
(almost like a template that varies in dimension rather than shape).

(I don't use Fibonacci - I am sceptical but maybe we can swap notes
on that some day).

What is EW and So9?

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <timesarrow@xxx>
wrote:

> Herman:
>
> RT systems may or may not work for EOD or higher times.  Depending
on the time frame, indicator-based system parameters often tend to be
time frame specific.  On the other hand, systems based on price
patterns and levels (e.g., Fibonacci patterns, triangles, EW, So9,
etc.) are fractal and work very well for all time frames.

> Bill

primary reason for this is that, except perhaps at the market open or
close, intraday bars are not synchronized at any point in time. EOD
bars have distinct patterns that can be traded but do not exist in
intraday bars, i.e., Real-time systems do not necessarily work in the
daily time frame, or vise versa.

>   2) Intraday bars gain random content quickly when you reduce the
period to less than about 3 minutes. At which period this happens
depends also on volume.

>   3) In very short time frames, say less than 1-2 minutes, data and
Internet delays start to play a major role. In this range it is
possible to develop HG systems with local data that fail in real-
trading. See my post on this on the UKB. Delays also vary with the
number of stocks you trade (your system's resources) and market
volume (at open and close).

>   4) While I have never worked with longer than daily bars i know
that daily bars have features that do not, and cannot, exist in
weekly and longer time frames. Similarly, weekly and longer periods
may have their own unique features.

>   5) imo, the OHLC bar structure is obsolete. Imagine the design
advantage if you knew the HL precedence. Of course, in the majority
of cases, you can be sneaky and calculate HL precedence by assuming
that the price follows path of least resistance from the Open to the
Close... or subscribe to real-time data.

> [...]
>
>   > impacts on my trading, but it is quite good fun and it does
have it's

>   > uses.
>

>   > (It is consistent with my intention to strengthen my mental
>
>   > capabilities, for trading, by not over relying on computer
memory).

>   > From my point of view, very little of what else is available
>
>   > in 'classical' TA is of any value.
>

>   > I consider that the topic (patten recognition) is finite and
that at a

>   > personal level I have conceptually exhausted the subject (after
many

>   > hours of contemplation). That doesn't mean I have exhausted all
effort

>   > in that area - there are still new patterns (to me) to be found
and

>   > more detail to obtain about those I have considered.
>

>   > I also consider that macro trading doesn't end there.
>

>   > There is the other side of the coin.
>

>   > If we are relying entirely on patterns, for macro trading, then
we are

>   > only flying around on one wing (I will comment on supplementary
methods

>   > somewhere down the track).
>

>   > Intra-day trading, however, is another cup of tea.
>

>   > The intraday 'patterns' are influenced markedly by the
mechanics of the

>   > market (exchange hours, overnight cessation of trading, morning
versus

>   > afternoon session, opening versus close, carryover action from
the

>   > previous day etc) so it has some peculiarities of it's own.
>

>   > Further to that, at the sub-micro level (tick trading),
continuity

>   > breaks down into discrete packages (perhaps there are new
things to

>   > find out about that).
>

>   > I look forward to Hermans efforts to push that boundary.
>

>   > Like Herman I believe that the more we learn about what is
ahead of us

>   > the more we understand what is behind us.
>

>   > brian_z

>   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@>
wrote:

>   >> Should be fun.
>

>   >> Not posting against you.
>

>   >> Just a philosophical observation.
>

>   >> In nature, when we zoom in, we move from the discrete to the
>
>   >> continuous. Order disintegrates at the boundary (objectively
we 'see'

>   >> no organizing principality in CHAOS).
>

>   >> In trading, when we zoom in, we move from the, apparently,
continuous

>   >> to the discrete.
>

>   >> brian_z

>   > Please note that this group is for discussion between users
only.

>   > To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
>
>   > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>

>   > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:

>   > http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/
>

>   > For other support material please check also:
>
>   > http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>
>   >

>   > Yahoo! Groups Links

>   >     Individual Email | Traditional