Re: Fw: [amibroker] OT: XP / Vista

When you buy a computer you get only 1 OS not 2. You can usually chooses between XP or Vista.

The least expensive way to 'downgrade' from Vista to XP is buy the computer with Vista installed and buy a copy of XP and install it. When you are ready to use Vista, reinstall it from the disk that came with the computer.

The cheapest price I have seen for XP (pro with sp2) is $55

http://www.edirectbuy.net/index.php?productID=119

Bill

Ronald Davis wrote:

Ara, this is my situation also. Below is have provided a link to a GOOGLE search which will give you a LOT of things to read about Vista, vs XP.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2005-49,SUNA:en&q=microsoft+to+simplify+downgrades+from+vista+to+xp
Below here I have pasted a very small part of the first item in the Google search.
Under the current rules,
OEMs must call about and file for each and every machine the license keys required to downgrade from Vista to XP. But Microsoft is planning to move to a new policy which will allow its top 170 OEM partners to submit these keys online for groups of machines, which will save them time and reduce complexity, Ball said.
Microsoft is working on ways to allow the rest of the channel to take advantage of these simplified downgrade procedures, but is still in the midst of hashing out the details, Ball said. He didn’t have a timetable for when Microsoft will make its more liberal downgrade-rights policies available to the rest of its PC partners
It was only yesterday that I did the google search, and last night, at a local COMPUTER USERS GROUP, one of the members said that she saw an ad by DELL offering you the choice of Windows XP, or Vista. As of yesterday, Dell's website was offering only Vista.
Most likely, DELL and the others, have AGREED to keep this DOWNGRADE arrangement in a very low profile.
I am hoping others on this board will chime in with additional information on how to deal with DELL, HP, and others in order to purchase a Vista computer with VISTA installed, and then do an immediate DOWNGRADE. Also, later on , will you be able UPGRADE back to VISTA, for no charge? I am Looking foreward to further comments on this.
BTW, I found out that electronics marketer SYSTEMAX owns Tiger Direct, and SYSTEMAX will build A CUSTOM notebook for you LOADED with XP and you can configure it on line.
Here is a link which will tell you a LOT about
the connections between SYSTEMAX, TIGERDIRECT, AND COMPUSA.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080107-back-from-the-dead-compusa-assets-snapped-up-by-tigerdirect.html

--
Bill

wjdandreta@xxxxxxx