Re: [amibroker] OT:4 GiB of RAM and MacBookPro

Dennis and Ron,

My 2 ¢.

Whenever you run software under an emulator or VM there will be a performance hit even if it is small.

Apple has something called bootcamp that runs Windows programs (never tried it, don't have a Mac).

According to bench marks I have seen, Parallels is not the fastest VM.

Xen (http://www.xen.org/xen/) and KVM (http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki) both are qemu  (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) based and work on Linux (I think Xen is being ported to the Mac). They are kernel modules that take advantage of Intel's and AMD's hardware virtualization.

Performance wise VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) and VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org/) are next. VMWare has been around a long time and is the most polished of the VM software. It costs $189 for single user license and runs on multiple platforms. VirtualBox is free for personal use.

I know a developer who uses VMWare and likes it a lot. He says performance degradation is no more than 10%-20%. I've been testing VirtualBox under Linux running W2K Pro. It runs significantly faster on my AMD64 X2 4000 in the VM than it runs on my AMD XP 2800 on the native hardware.

I have several issues with Macs.

1. IMO they are over priced (some say grossly over priced).
2. They use sudo in a way for which it was never intended which reduces security (Ubuntu Linux et al are doing the same thing).
3. They are stingy with ram and use low end video cards in there base models.
4. There are viruses showing up for the Mac which leads me to believe it is only a matter of time before Macs will need to run virus software which will degrade their performance.

Bill

Dennis Brown wrote:

I would install 4GB RAM and XP home and parallels.  Then allocate 2GB to the XP virtual machine.  You can run all the overhead software on the Leopard side and AB on the XP side on different cores.  Trading will then be on a small clean XP machine that can stay that way.

Best regards,
Dennis