Re: [amibroker] Re: Absolute value ATR?---> and some hope for building a system

Hi Brian,

From what I understand you look like someone who has accomplised a lot... and not only in trading.  As a personal piece of wisdom I really believe in the virtue of establishing goals and doing whatever one has to do to reach those goals.  And the important thing is that the path to reach those goals must be nearly as enjoyable as the goal itself.

That was how it was for chess to me.  As you said about programming, a big puzzle.  I had so much fun looking at all those games, learning every move and every variation of a particular opening up to the 16th move, or learning all the possibilities of an Endgame, etc.  I really like to play with concepts and to adapt them to create something new.  Somehow, I always played chess like it was an art; an art of perfection where the mind created something that didn't exist before.   This is how I got a draw at my second tournament game at 21 against an expert, and this is how I defeated several masters and won some tournaments.  I always tried to surprise myself and get that "ahah!" that made the game look beautiful to me.  I think I enjoyed the aesthetic of the game.

I see trading in the same way.  My girlfriend's sister husband is a professional trader, trading with a 35% gain per year for over 10 years, and he used to play chess.  However, how he trades is not possible for me; he is a day trader and I want to trade on slightly longer time frame because I have other occupations and it's too much energy.  This is why I am lookingt at a system.

Are you serious it is possible to get 50% profit a year with such system?

You are right about the possibility of been too focused on the code itself to forget the trading activity.  I compare this again to ches when I lost some games because I didn't want to give the fatal blow because I was so amazed that my opponent had nothing to play because my position was so strong...  Or some games I lost because I wanted so hard to punish my opponent for getting out of theory, etc.  Sometimes I forgot that the goal was to win the game.

You said you do some code but you prefer to work with programmers as they need you and you need them.  Could you develop a bit on that?  Do you mean that those programmers lack the intuition and talent you have to recognize profitable indicators and patterns and that you lack the ability to program as well as they do?

What I really would like to do, for me, is to build a system that would allow me to simply scan and buy/sell/short/cover when I have to, and that's it.  On a daily basis and maybe later on a hourly basis.  But it seems like a long way and I wonder how far I can go without having to become a programmer and wasting too much time on this instead of winning the trade.

Thanks,

Louis