Re: [amibroker] Beginner Questions

Hi Craig --

The examples in the book are for educational purposes only -- do not trade them without performing your own testing and validation.

There is always a danger of searching through a list of tickers, finding some few tickers that a system works well for, and thinking that you have found the holy grail.  That search is called "optimizing over the symbol space" and is generally discouraged.

You are correct that there is a very severe survivorship bias when you evaluate a system over the watchlist containing the tickers of the current NASDAQ 100.  Those companies that went out of business in 2001 to 2003 are not included.  There are some data suppliers (CSI and others) that maintain data for delisted stocks.  But working with that data is complicated, and obtaining it is expensive.

Thanks,
Howard