Re: Thread Organization -- {was: Re: [amibroker] trim your posts}

Excellent!!

NW Trader wrote:

Hi all,

At the risk of being flamed, may I suggest a middle approach?

I get the group’s output via email.  Drilling down is no difficult task in an ongoing discussion, but for those who wish to read the group online I suppose it could be onerous.  And to see how an idea or code develops in response to a request which is responded to with cogent suggestions, the inclusion of prior submissions is certainly helpful and worthwhile.

OTOH, the failure to trim, or at the least rename the subject line, is annoying and often misleading when the original discussion is abandoned by a responder with a new thought or with a subset discussion.  This happens far too often and is a good instance of when to trim, rename or start anew.  E.g.: not trying to pick on anyone here, but there was a recent thread concerning problems with  QP and a request for recommendations on a new EOD data feed which has morphed into a discussion on system development and trading psychology.  This is but one of oh so many instances where if one were interested in the original subject it would be a waste of time to read the most recent postings, and if one were interested in the new discussion (here system development and trading psychology), a subject search would miss the discussion entirely.

So a humble suggestion:  If a reply is directed at the subject topic of the thread, don't trim unless you are just so inclined (or want to keep your reply on point to a particular issue).  If, however, you are going to take the discussion in a new direction or even a finer subset, consider taking the time to either start a new thread or rename the subject line (as I have done here) and trim the irrelevant material.  If your contribution is a completely novel topic, please start an entirely new thread rather than cluttering another discussion.  And if you reply to an existing thread which has had a seriously irrelevant digression, consider trimming out that extraneous matter.  I think that covers most of the bases and while it may mean a little more work for the responder, it may add a lot to the recipients ability to use this forum.

My collection of this thread's postings is now around seven years in length {archived of course} and it would be much easier to search as well as to collate into articles for a KB or response to a new user's request but for the failure of folks to stay on topic, trim their replies of irrelevant material, or start fresh threads.  In truth, there's a lot of gold in all the dross, but I've not the time to pan it unless I'm seriously in need of something and recall a discussion on the topic or the poster who was involved in the discussion.  I enjoy all the give and take, and only offer this as a suggestion for organization, not censorship.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick