Thread Organization -- {was: Re: [amibroker] trim your posts}

Hello NW Trader

"not trying to pick on anyone here, but there was a recent thread
concerning problems with  QP and a request for recommendations on a
new EOD data feed which has morphed into a discussion on system
development and trading psychology".

No offence taken.

You have to be considerate of others in the forum so I will try to
take more care.

I don't like to hijack a thread but in this case the original thread
was dead.

If you could get a consensus and everybody else always did it I would
definitely comply.
I think you will find it hard to get consensus on posting etiquette
though.

IMO archivers would be better off clipping, editing and categorizing
etc if they want to get the full benefit. You can see that the people
who do that  really learn AB extremely well.

In my case I decided not to as I believe I can achieve my trading
goals without it. Also my temperament doesn't support that. However I
might be wrong and have to change over to archiving at some point (in
which case I would clip).

BUT!

On the other hand it is first and foremost a discussion group and not
a joint effort database (people who decide to archive are making a
personal choice and should put there own effective systems in place).

 I enjoy the interaction and friendship and there is a lot more in
the discussion than the words - how people say things and what they
don't say is all part of it (a nod is as good as a wink). I value the
discussions that I am involved in and get a lot of help/guidance/tips
from them. Over regulation will kill the discussion off to some
extent e.g. sometimes I am making, what are to me, interesting
observations. I don't know if the person you are responding to will
find them interesting (they don't have to respond if they are busy or
don't want to). If someone replies well and good (you don't actually
know if a thread is going to develop until it happens). If I move to
a new thread I am almost demanding that the other person answers and
I think it also tends to kill the discussion.

I kinda like the organic nature of the discussion and the morphing.

Sometimes, in the moment, I forget THE RULES.

brian_z :-)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "NW Trader" <ta4charts@xxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> At the risk of being flamed, may I suggest a middle approach?
>

> I get the group's output via email.  Drilling down is no difficult
task in an ongoing discussion, but for those who wish to read the
group online I suppose it could be onerous.  And to see how an idea
or code develops in response to a request which is responded to with
cogent suggestions, the inclusion of prior submissions is certainly
helpful and worthwhile.

> OTOH, the failure to trim, or at the least rename the subject line,
is annoying and often misleading when the original discussion is
abandoned by a responder with a new thought or with a subset
discussion.  This happens far too often and is a good instance of
when to trim, rename or start anew.  E.g.: not trying to pick on
anyone here, but there was a recent thread concerning problems with
QP and a request for recommendations on a new EOD data feed which has
morphed into a discussion on system development and trading
psychology.  This is but one of oh so many instances where if one
were interested in the original subject it would be a waste of time
to read the most recent postings, and if one were interested in the
new discussion (here system development and trading psychology), a
subject search would miss the discussion entirely.

> So a humble suggestion:  If a reply is directed at the subject
topic of the thread, don't trim unless you are just so inclined (or
want to keep your reply on point to a particular issue).  If,
however, you are going to take the discussion in a new direction or
even a finer subset, consider taking the time to either start a new
thread or rename the subject line (as I have done here) and trim the
irrelevant material.  If your contribution is a completely novel
topic, please start an entirely new thread rather than cluttering
another discussion.  And if you reply to an existing thread which has
had a seriously irrelevant digression, consider trimming out that
extraneous matter.  I think that covers most of the bases and while
it may mean a little more work for the responder, it may add a lot to
the recipients ability to use this forum.

> My collection of this thread's postings is now around seven years
in length {archived of course} and it would be much easier to search
as well as to collate into articles for a KB or response to a new
user's request but for the failure of folks to stay on topic, trim
their replies of irrelevant material, or start fresh threads.  In
truth, there's a lot of gold in all the dross, but I've not the time
to pan it unless I'm seriously in need of something and recall a
discussion on the topic or the poster who was involved in the
discussion.  I enjoy all the give and take, and only offer this as a
suggestion for organization, not censorship.

> Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick

through the 'clutter' than to jump backwards over unrelated threads
to find out what someone is talking about.

>   If you don't like the 'clutter' just don't read it.  That's easy,
isn't it?
>   -- Keith
>
>   Sidney Kaiser wrote:
>
>     Louis P. and Steve D.
>
>     Hey, would you guys please trim off the excess trash on the
bottom of your posts.

>     Have you actually looked at what you are sending out?
>
>     Once you have established the context of your response please
trim off the clutter.

>     Thank You
>     Sid

>   Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!
Mobile. Try it now.