[amibroker] Re: Absolute value ATR?

If you want a relative measure of range then you could use ATR%, as
suggested by Graham.

High volatility stocks would be filtered by e.g. ATR% > 2 etc.

In that case your stops would be something like:

ProfitStop = Ref(C,-1) * (1 + ATR%/100);
StopLoss = Ref(C,-1) * (1 - ATR%/100);

If you want to standardise range then you could use:

StandardATR = StDev(ATR(1),Periods);

An example of a stop would then be:

ProfitStop = Ref(C,-1) + StDev(ATR(1),20);

Or maybe (for live work):

ProfitStop = Ref(C,-1) + Ref(StDev(ATR(1),20),-1);

Or something like that.

That is only one way of doing it.

You can try whatever you like, within the boundaries of your
knowledge (plus a little bit more).

brian_z *;-)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> Louis,
>
> > only thing I need to know is simply to set the STdev at 2 or 3
(if
> it's what
> > I want to do) and then automatically ATR will be use that new
StDev?

> No.
>
> ATR and StDev are both measures of volatility but they measure it
in
> different ways. Generally you would use one or the other.
>
> StDev has special uses.
>
> If you want to use them it would pay off to study them closely
first.

> > I like your idea to make two groups; one with high volatility and
> one with
> > low volatility.  Would you consider it would be possible to
adjust
> the
> > stop-loss differently for each group?
>
> You could try it e.g. the stop loss can be the close - StDev(C,20).
> You can vary the stop loss for one group by using a multiplier so
the
> stop loss could be close - StDev(C,20) * 1.5 for one group and
close -
>  StDev(C,20) for the other.
>

> > And how do you filter the top
> > performers?
>
> It depends on what you have chosen as your favourite metric for
> evaluating systems. As I said in an earlier post I like Power
Factor