[amibroker] Re: Absolute value ATR?

Hi Brian,

I think I might confuse ATR and StDev.  What is the utility of
each?  Isn't StDev more flexible because you can modify it by
changing it to 1, 2 or 3, etc.?  How can I profit from each?

Thanks fvor the suggestion about Howard Bandy's book.  Is it really
worth that 62$ I would spend to get it?  I mean: I looked at some
extract and it looks interesting but is it only another amibroker
tutorial or would it actually help me to build my system?

BTW, what is the UKB?

Thanks a lot!

Louis

p.s. I saw your answer about comparing the market but I wasn't sure
I understood what you meant.  So far I can say I am somehow
satisfied having NYSE as the reference index since TSX and comp^
follows it anyway, but sure it would be nice to be able to have tsx
for canadian stocks and comp for stocks on the nasdaq.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx>
wrote:

> Louis,
>
> > only thing I need to know is simply to set the STdev at 2 or 3
(if
> it's what
> > I want to do) and then automatically ATR will be use that new
StDev?

> No.
>
> ATR and StDev are both measures of volatility but they measure it
in
> different ways. Generally you would use one or the other.
>
> StDev has special uses.
>
> If you want to use them it would pay off to study them closely
first.

> > I like your idea to make two groups; one with high volatility
and
> one with
> > low volatility.  Would you consider it would be possible to
adjust
> the
> > stop-loss differently for each group?
>
> You could try it e.g. the stop loss can be the close - StDev(C,20).
> You can vary the stop loss for one group by using a multiplier so
the
> stop loss could be close - StDev(C,20) * 1.5 for one group and
close -
>  StDev(C,20) for the other.
>

> > And how do you filter the top
> > performers?
>
> It depends on what you have chosen as your favourite metric for
> evaluating systems. As I said in an earlier post I like Power
Factor