From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Michael.S.G.
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:13 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] OT: Question on Torrent Security

Hi Ken,
Both Rik and Prashanth are correct. I'll Give some more info.

Use of BitTorrent is safe, Provided you are running the usual firewall
protection, A well known torrent client and downloading Legal torrent files
(eg open office etc.).
* The torrent file should be downloaded from the originating web site eg.
http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/
* Illegal software (MS Office etc) should not be downloaded and may contain
Trojans etc.
If you computer is directly connected to the net, Ensure your software
firewall is allowing the port that BitTorrent is using to pass.
If you are connected behind a hardware firewall/router, Ensure that your
firewall/router forwards the port to your computers internal net address.
The forwarding or passing of the BitTorrent port will generally allow more
peers to connect and give you a faster Download and Sharing ratio.
Some ISP's throttle the standard bitTorrent ports. You can generally
overcome this by changing the default port used by the bitTorrent program
(Highly suggested).

The seeding/uploading of torrents WILL slow your net connection down, Mostly
due to the upload limits most ISP impose on home net connections.
However you can set bitTorrent programs to seed/upload at specific speeds.
ie if your total upload speed is 20kb/sec, Set your upload speed to say
10kb/sec. You should try to seed/upload at least to a 1:1 upload/download
ratio. ie people help you download and you should reciprocate by at least
uploading as much as you download. Some bitTorrent clients also have the
ability to operate at set times, So you can just do the transfers during the
night when no other critical activity is required.

I tend to download fairly large torrents ie Linux Distributions, Open office
etc etc. And I find the Azures client to be quite good. (And use the "Speed
Scheduler" plugin to limit transfers to the night/off peak xfer times only.)
Also, I will usually quit the client after I have download/upload ratio of
at least 1:1, Mainly to conserve memory, CPU cycles and *monthly transfer
limits*  *As an extra note, Some ISP's now consider "uploads" to be part of
your monthly transfer allowance. I Believe OptusNet (Australia) now does
this.

Hope this helps,
    Michael.S.G.

Ken Close wrote:

> I have asked this question various places and have gotten no answers.
> Google searches do not reveal anything. Perhaps someone here knows the
> answer--if there is an answer.
>
> I want to know if the use of Torrent (BitTorrent, UTorrent, etc)
> clients exposes one to a severe security risk.  As I understand the
> newbie explanations I have read, torrent clients break up a requested
> torrent file into "pieces" and various peers (other computers) send
> you pieces of the requested file.  Your torrent program collects and
> "assembles" the pieces and you have the completed file.  In turn, you
> have to leave your computer "open" to others so the torrent program
> can share "pieces" of the file on your computer with others.
>
> Thus my question: with your computer being "open" to all those using
> torrent clients, are you at risk of a hack attack on the other private
> data on your computer?  A related question is: can you be more
> (totally?) secure if you devote one computer on your home network to
> torrent collection and do not have sharing on for any of the other
> computers on your network--sort of isolating the torrent-collecting
> computer?
>
> I am interested in all of this because more and more legitimate, legal
> material is being shared over the net via torrent downloads.  I would
> like to avail myself of some of this legal content but do not yet
> understand the risks.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to SUPPORT {at}
amibroker.com