Re: [amibroker] Re: AP's RT data feed - for MarkK

Brian

This won't help you much but I thought I would chip in here, anyway.

I used to spend *hours* every week manually updating data, checking
splits consolidations rights issues etc every week with data from
Justdata comparing with ASX published data in the back of the old Shares
magazine. What an agonising waste of time!.

Now I only look at Fx. With this being retail broker based the data is
never clean.

Toward the end of last year I ran a simple once a day system on three
different (demo: yes I know) platforms, entering Limit entries for the
day in the morning and off to work for the day, as a kind of real time
walk forward test. Surprising how much time this took to do.

In the evening most times all three platforms had either filled my
orders or not, but it was surprising to see how many times Platform1 and
Platform2 would have filled my limit entry, and one of them had got
stopped out, whereas the other had got to the Take Profit. On other days
Platform1 and Platform2 would have filled my entry order but Platform3
ran without me: a missed trading opportunity.
At the end of the month all three platforms were in profit, just by
different amounts.

Because I get my Fx data through MT3 plugin these are not exactly the
same prices as my live trading account.
To be honest I don't think this matters. Support and resistance are
still at the same level, and is never tick precise.
Others may choose to disagree.

Just following three Fx data providers will show you by how much each
can differ, notwithstanding the different time zones and therefore
differing candles we get. And that is not even talking about economic
news times!

The lesson for me was clear : the individual trade result is irrelevant.
The issue is: is the expectancy positive and can I continue to trade
this. All three maintained a positive expectancy and when this fell away
this was the "stop trading this system" signal.

That to me is one of the advantages of Fx : no database hassles. No
company reports, no shareholder statements, no Chess holder statements
and the inevitable shareholder bits of paper coming through the mail
after I have long closed the trades.

The other way to think about it would be: well if Provider1 has
different Ticks to Provider2, just backtest and optimize for each
respectively over the same time frame and the same tickers. If your
parameters and results differ widely this may be a message that your
system is marginal. On the other hand, if all is well and the results
are very similar, you have just done your own "should I care how clean
my data is?" test.

Regards
ChrisB

--