Re: [amibroker] Re: no amibroker book?

brian_z111 wrote:

> However, I also agree with the others that we need a good AFL book
> and IMO Tomasz is the man to write it - yes, even if he has to stop
> development to do it - take a sabbatical and get out the feathered
> pen Tomasz

Brian, I agree with Paul and vlanschot that TJ cannot afford to do this.
And quite frankly - no offense meant, TJ!!! - I'm not sure if he's the
right guy to do this. I'm afraid he's frequently thinking in quite
different categories than most of us who are non-programmers and
apparantly much more simple-minded ;-) He's often made the statement
that every AB user should read the manual from the first to the last
page over and over again. Yes, true - but that doesn't really help in
many situations.

Examples? The description of Exrem and Exremspan - without hints from
other guys here in the mailing list (who are obviously more intelligent
than I am) I would never have understood the whole purpose of these
functions and when to use them.
Another one: The description of Equity() - my goodness, after all these
years I still have troubles at times to decide which flag I should use
and with which consequences.

There are many other examples of functions available in AB that may be
useful for me in specific situations - but I simply don't understand
and use them (like Varset). In the past I had very often the
impression - with a "normal" occupation, a wife and two children who
sometimes felt neglected - that I'm the wrong target customer for AB
and TJ. But, well, over the years the moments of desperation have
become fewer thanks to a lot of pasting of infos from the list here
(like Graham has mentioned).

Having said this, I think an AFL book is needed written strictly from
the user's perspective. I think most of us non-programmers and
non-engineers are in need of "cooking recipes" that organize, structure
or arrange the vast multitude of possibilities available in AB  in
order to facilitate everyday usage of this excellent application. A
nice example from the AB library as a starter would be
http://www.amibroker.com/library/detail.php?id=547

Brian, Herman and you are doing a really marvelous job for the UKB. But
perhaps some more of such "cooking recipes" should be included. It
would be great if more AB users could contribute them.

Just my 2 cents ...

Greetings,

Thomas