Re: [amibroker] Plotting different timeframes --help needed

Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it again.

I run eSignal for a data feed and it is supposed to be the most
reliable one.  I keep tabs on other realtime trader's experiences,
and it is.  However, I get bad ticks constantly in AB for high volume
issues like SPY.  eSignal cleans up most of the bad ticks in a few
seconds, but about 10-20% of them are never fixed.  Bad ticks are
easy enough to ignore when trading by eye on a chart, because the
brain can spot the absurdity of the tall spike that only happens for
an instant without a volume spike and ignore it.

However, I have some quite complex indicator calculations that are
about the equivalent of 50 normal indicators.  Some key calculations
that drive everything are based on the highs and lows of a 1 minute
bar.  The bad ticks throw the calculations off by a factor of two.
It takes AB about 3 seconds to do my calculations for just 1000
bars.  If I can run the database 12 or more times faster than the 1
minute bars, then I can run a simple algorithm that finds and removes
the bad ticks in realtime, then feed the clean 1 minute bars to the
rest of the calculations.  It also lets me do things like running
clean volume bars off the same database.

Also if AFL had static arrays, I could break up my calculations and
not recalculate everything all the time which kills the UI
responsiveness for drawing trend lines in realtime.

I use the TimeFrameSet(60) after cleaning up the bad ticks which
turns everything into 1 minute bars.  That works for everything
except the window still thinks it is in 5 second bars.  All studies
that are hand drawn end up being relative to the 5 second bars (and
prices) that are implied, but not displayed, and not my 1 minute
bars.  This means that the studies shift left one bar on the screen
every 5 seconds, while the price bars that I am plotting are shifting
left one bar every minute.  This makes the studies march left 12
times faster than the data I was trying to draw a trend line for.

So TimeFrameSet() does not really take you to a new timeframe as far
as the chart pane is concerned, nor for drawing studies.

My OHLC does not change unless I do a force backfill, which fixes
some bad tick data.  If your provider is fixing bad ticks on the fly
with AB, it might be affecting your charts.

I have been ignoring all the little gotchas while I was developing
the indicators to trade from.  Now that my indicators are close to
done, I started worrying about the little gotchas that would ruin my
actual ability to execute successfully.  I was counting on the little
things being cleaned up by now, or finding a work around over the
course of my one year development.  AB is close to doing what I need,
but I don't know how to get from here to there.  I have boasted about
how good AB was to a lot of realtime traders who are waiting for me
to prove it before they will use it.  It looks like I will have to
eat my words now.

Dennis