[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base

I should have also said that the UKB site isn't limited to HTML posts
and it isn't necessary to learn complicated posting procedures.

Posts can be made via a simple text like summary with Word docs (or
any of the other basic filetypes e.g. Xcel, PDF) attached.

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z321" <brian_z321@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> It would
> > be great to be able to jump to them quickly.
> >

> > *         Copy the current Knowledge Base contents
> > (http://www.amibroker.com/kb/) to this new Knowledge Base.   E.g
> > http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2007/03/ shows how to chart spreads.
> After all
> > articles are copied, retire the current Knowledge Base.
> >

> > *         In AB, add a Knowledge Base link to the "Help" menu.
>
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.
> You will be a most welcome addition to the UKB team.
>
> For the most part, Tomasz and Herman have answered your questions.
>
> A few additional points:
>
> Around the same time that the Yahoo forums were discussing the UKB
> some discussion also took place about search facilities.
> IMO a compact and efficient AB search engine, with a link in the AB
> Web Research toolbar,would be a nice addition (I filed a suggestion
> with AB support to do that).
>
> In the short term using Google search, with amibroker.com or .org
as
> the target does quite a good job of bringing a lot of info together.
> There is also Gigablast at gigablast.com, that can search both
> the .com and .org site at the same time.
>
> If you add the google advanced search URL to the AB web research
> window you can already do searches of the amibroker sites while
> working in AB.
>
> Noting Tomasz's comments, that there are reasons why he is not
going
> to merge the KB's, IMO there is an opportunity now to tidy up the
> spread of informational articles from the various sites e.g. the
old
> newletter articles could go into one or other of the KB's and the
> same for the info docs at the AB home website.
>
> As always, Tomasz is very busy, and those things chew up time, so
it
> might not happen. I think it would save AB time in the long run.
>

> Owners of tutorial type material that is currently in the Yahoo
file
> list, and the thirdparty site, (oe elsewhere) can also help out by
> becoming authors and moving their stuff to the UKB (if they are so
> inclined).
>
> BTW, as the UKB is owned by AB, it doesn't have the commercial
> restrictions placed on it that this site has.
> I understand that there is scope for third party providers and the
> commercial friends of AmiBroker to post informational material on
the
> UKB (interested parties please refer to Herman for the guidelines).
>
> I agree with you that it is worth keeping our eye on the ball with
> regard to unifying as many of the help sources as possible.
>
> The caveat there is that the Function Library is different to the
> KB's (the KB's are reserved for tutorial style posts), the Function
> Reference is part of the help manual and the Help manual is
Tomasz's
> baby (upgraded every major revision).
>

> > IMO, when someone complains about the documentation, they have
> actually
> > said, "By complaining, I agree to do something about it.   I
> volunteer to
> > research this and write the changes in the Knowledge Base."  The
> reality
> > here is that AB is the best analytical tool available.  To get
> better
> > documentation, Tomasz could 1) slow development of new features
and
> bug
> > fixes, 2) increase the cost of AB to cover the cost of hiring a
> tech writer,
> > or 3) have the users help with the documentation.  Me? I vote for
3.

> Exactly.
> The very reason that the idea of the UKB was raised in the first
> place.
>
> In the workplace I have not found tech writers to my taste.
> You can't beat the tutorials that come from people who live in the
> software.
>

> > One question, why write a post in MS Word and then copy it to
> Windows Live
> > Writer?  Why not use Windows Live Writer to write the whole
thing?
> (I've
> > never used WLW, so I don't know its capabilities.)
>
> The reason 'we' have recommended Windows Live Writer is that if
users
> have material already written in Word, WLW is the best method that
we
> have found, so far, to allow them to quickly transfer that material
> into the UKB format (there are some caveats on that as the UKB does
> not accept rich text and the format is uses is limited, with the
aim
> of maintaining a consistent appearance for all posts irrespective
of
> the author).
>
> The UKB posts are in HTML and WLW is a WYSIWYG third party editor
> (offline editor, weblog client) that provides a path from Word or
> text/visual editing to the UKB.
>
> Herman has setup an authors forum for contributors (AmiBroker -
UKB)