[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxx> wrote:

> *         At the top of the new KB table of contents, add links to
the
> current AB documentation,including:
>
> a.    Especially the current AFL Function Reference
> (http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/)
>
> b.    AFL Library (http://www.amibroker.com/library/)
>
> c.    AB User's Guide (http://www.amibroker.com/guide/
>
> d.    Dev Log (http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/).
>

> IMO, all of these valuable sources of info for solving problems.
It would
> be great to be able to jump to them quickly.
>

> *         Copy the current Knowledge Base contents
> (http://www.amibroker.com/kb/) to this new Knowledge Base.   E.g
> http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2007/03/ shows how to chart spreads.
After all
> articles are copied, retire the current Knowledge Base.
>

> *         In AB, add a Knowledge Base link to the "Help" menu.

Dan,

Thanks for the encouragement.
You will be a most welcome addition to the UKB team.

For the most part, Tomasz and Herman have answered your questions.

A few additional points:

Around the same time that the Yahoo forums were discussing the UKB
some discussion also took place about search facilities.
IMO a compact and efficient AB search engine, with a link in the AB
Web Research toolbar,would be a nice addition (I filed a suggestion
with AB support to do that).

In the short term using Google search, with amibroker.com or .org as
the target does quite a good job of bringing a lot of info together.
There is also Gigablast at gigablast.com, that can search both
the .com and .org site at the same time.

If you add the google advanced search URL to the AB web research
window you can already do searches of the amibroker sites while
working in AB.

Noting Tomasz's comments, that there are reasons why he is not going
to merge the KB's, IMO there is an opportunity now to tidy up the
spread of informational articles from the various sites e.g. the old
newletter articles could go into one or other of the KB's and the
same for the info docs at the AB home website.

As always, Tomasz is very busy, and those things chew up time, so it
might not happen. I think it would save AB time in the long run.

Owners of tutorial type material that is currently in the Yahoo file
list, and the thirdparty site, (oe elsewhere) can also help out by
becoming authors and moving their stuff to the UKB (if they are so
inclined).

BTW, as the UKB is owned by AB, it doesn't have the commercial
restrictions placed on it that this site has.
I understand that there is scope for third party providers and the
commercial friends of AmiBroker to post informational material on the
UKB (interested parties please refer to Herman for the guidelines).

I agree with you that it is worth keeping our eye on the ball with
regard to unifying as many of the help sources as possible.

The caveat there is that the Function Library is different to the
KB's (the KB's are reserved for tutorial style posts), the Function
Reference is part of the help manual and the Help manual is Tomasz's
baby (upgraded every major revision).

> IMO, when someone complains about the documentation, they have
actually
> said, "By complaining, I agree to do something about it.   I
volunteer to
> research this and write the changes in the Knowledge Base."  The
reality
> here is that AB is the best analytical tool available.  To get
better
> documentation, Tomasz could 1) slow development of new features and
bug
> fixes, 2) increase the cost of AB to cover the cost of hiring a
tech writer,
> or 3) have the users help with the documentation.  Me? I vote for 3.

Exactly.
The very reason that the idea of the UKB was raised in the first
place.

In the workplace I have not found tech writers to my taste.
You can't beat the tutorials that come from people who live in the
software.

> One question, why write a post in MS Word and then copy it to
Windows Live
> Writer?  Why not use Windows Live Writer to write the whole thing?
(I've
> never used WLW, so I don't know its capabilities.)

The reason 'we' have recommended Windows Live Writer is that if users
have material already written in Word, WLW is the best method that we
have found, so far, to allow them to quickly transfer that material
into the UKB format (there are some caveats on that as the UKB does
not accept rich text and the format is uses is limited, with the aim
of maintaining a consistent appearance for all posts irrespective of
the author).

The UKB posts are in HTML and WLW is a WYSIWYG third party editor
(offline editor, weblog client) that provides a path from Word or
text/visual editing to the UKB.

Herman has setup an authors forum for contributors (AmiBroker - UKB)
and there is help available there, from other authors, with
publishing issues.
WordPress (the host software), HTML, and several offline editors have
all been discussed there.

I am also writing posts on 'How To Post Using WordPress, WLW and
maybe some others). Those articles will start to come out soon (2-4
weeks).
I am holding back to gauge interest, find the time to write the
articles and learn some more about posting myself (it is all new to
everybody except Tomasz, who has been using WordPress in HTML view
for writing the AKB and the devlog.
The 'How To Post' articles will be follow the numbers to posting
proficiency in 30 minutes (or failing that, they will, at the least,
provide a quick way to get started).

Brian.

On Behalf
> Of Tomasz Janeczko
>
> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 4:24 AM
>
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Subject: [amibroker] AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base
>

> Hello,
>

> As recently discussed a new project called "Users' Knowledge Base"
(UKB for
> short)
>
> has been created.
>
> The site was created to save you time, raise your productivity, aid
you in
> your Amibroker Formula Language (AFL) learning
>
> experience, and help you become a more successful trader. Although
this site
> is owned and operated by AmiBroker, its contents are
>
> entirely contributed by users like you.
>

> Check out the UKB at: http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/
>

> For more information please read:
>
> "About Users Knowledge Base":
>
> http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/about-the-user's-knowledge-base/
>

> and the other documents in the "Info" section of the UKB.
>

> There is already lots of valuable material published by early
contributors
> (Herman, Al and Brian) and I
>
> would like to say big "THANK YOU" to them for the effort put into
these
> great informational materials.
>

> Please note that the site is intended to be live, evolving project,
so it is
> NOT considered "complete"
>
> and our intention is to add features and contents to it over time.
There may