[amibroker] Re: New user - problems/questions

Hi,

I have had the same problem too. I set up separate layouts for
different markets with different systems and indicators. I name each
layout and label every tab. Because I have a a couple of different
sets of data for each market I have been using Global Layouts so that
I can access them from any database.  Whatever I do my layouts are
changing and messing up.

I don't expect to change a layout once I have set it up, but I find
that I have to recreate them quite often. There doesn't seem to be
much of help in the documentation about this. Sometimes a whole
different set of charts will appear in a layout and I don't know how
it happens. If I knew what do do to ensure stability then I would be
happy to do it.

Sometimes I have 2 instances of Amibroker running, but I worry about
this causing problems so in the 2nd instance I only look at charts
and don't change things that are being accessed in the other one.
When closing it autosaves, so I wonder if that could be part of the
problem?

Cheers,
Arthur

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Edward Pottasch" <empottasch@xxx>
wrote:

> I am just not sure if it is a bug because sometimes I save the
layout and all is fine the next day. What happened today was that I
clicked on the Local Layout "auto" which is part of my Interactive
Brokers data base. In the lower tabs I have 5 panes with different
charts underneath them. One of the charts carried this morning a
program (afl code) that I wrote the day before but was part of a
different database (Quotes Plus database) in which I use different
Local Layouts. The local layouts for the various databases I use have
different names.

> Still this morning I find a program in one of my tabs in the
Interactive Brokers database which I did not put there and I did not
even call this code into this database. This code however I was
writing and inserting in another database however I was running 2
instances of Amibroker on 1 computer. So I think something might go
wrong here .. (?)

> The problem you mention with the parameter window I did see have
myself yet.

> regards, Ed

Very simple formula. Something like underneath. So without any
Params :

>   Filter = (Close > 65) AND BarIndex()==845;
>   AddColumn(C,"Close");
>   Plot(BarIndex(),"BarIndex",colorRed,styleLine);
>
>   When going to the Parameter Screen I found in the Parameter Tab
all kinds of parameters coming from a different formula. Therefore I
checked the above formula again and found no Params. This is not the
first time and frankly I accept it as one of the typical software
bugs (?) that should not exist but are just there. I can live with
it. As long as the software gives me what I want it to do ... My
experience over the last 25 year with MicroSoft software showed me
that bugs are just part of the game ...

>   Regards, Ton

additional remark / question on this.  I have been having problems
with layouts all along.

>     1) For instance I have a layout I call "auto". I add something
to "auto" then save it and when I open it the next day in some
occasions there is some other program in one of the lower tab windows.

>     2) Sometimes I add a program to a lower tab, then save the
layout. The next day I open this layout and the chart is blanc, it
can not find the code underneath.

>     Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. Just wonder if
anyone else has this problem or if I am doing something wrong. But
what can one do wrong? You create a new layout, save the layout when
you change something and still I get inconsistant behaviour.

>     Could it be because I run 2 instances (or sometimes 3) of
Amibroker on 1 computer using different databases and that this
messes up the layouts?

>     thanks, Ed

I went through several of the tutorials and got a decent start on a
dozen symbols and an hourly chart layout I liked on one tab in 3
panes on Sheet 1. I reduced the number of default sheets from 8 to 4.

>       This morning when I opened AB, I had a whole different view.
My candle sticks have been replaced by close only line chart and a
bunch of tabs have been added for variations which I don't need or
care about. Further, indicators I don't want have been applied to
Sheets 2 through 4.

>       Problems/questions:
>         a.. How do I restore my layout and keep it that way when I
reopen it?
>         b.. I can not find a way (menu or pop-up menu) to
alter/restore the chart properties including something as basic as
the chart style. The properties item on the pop-up menu is grayed out
and charting preferences do not let me set the chart style.
>         c.. How do I remove tabs I don't want and add new tabs I do
want?
>         d.. I can't seem to display all of the data collected. For
example, 6CU7 (Canadian Dollar) shows 7952 data bars retrieved. My IB
database is set to 10,000 bars of base time interval 5 minutes. At
288 bars per 24 hours, I should have 27 trading days (over a full
month) of data. However zooming out on hourly or daily bars displays
nothing further back than June 26 which is fewer than 6 trading days.
How do I get to view all of the data?