RE: RE: [amibroker] Need help with new computer workstation

Dan

Have just built my own PC and pretty happy with what I’ve got. I’m not so worried about the XP/Vista thing…don’t see what all the fuss is about personally, on either side of the argument. The new OS is not that much more expensive over here in the UK and so I thought “why not”. No complaints so far…and hopefully the SP1 will bring more to the table when it finally arrives. As for the hardware:

MB = Asus P5W64 WS Professional. Excellent IMO. It’s a 975X chipset and so supports ATI CrossFire as opposed to SLI…but why would you want either on a workstation? Why would you want SLI for games even? There doesn’t seem to be any support for SLI in software yet so I didn’t see the point, particularly as the last think I want to do in my spare time is sit in front of the computer playing hard-core games!! The great thing about this board though is that it has FOUR PCI-E slots. So that means that you can have up to EIGHT monitors! Overkill for me, but you never know in the future. Also has no less than 7 SATA slots on 2 controllers (southbridge = 4 and external controller = 3). Very overclockable too if you’re into that. Passive cooling too.

Memory = Corsair 6400C4D Dominator. Careful here to check for compatibility with your board!! First lot I bought didn’t boot my system…I thought I’d blown up the MB!!!

Graphics = XFX 7950 GT extreme. Great card and passively cooled so no noise. I put a 12cm fan on the internal HDD enclosure so it’s right next to the card to help keep cool. Next cards will not be so high-powered though as I want to keep wattage/heat & therefore noise down. No need for anything so meaty really on a workstation, but the 7950 suits as the primary card.

PSU = Corsair HX520W. Probably could have gone for 620W model…but 500W is perfectly adequate for now…internal 12cm fan only comes on when load is very high. I’ve not heard any noise from it yet!

Hard drives…I thoroughly recommend the Samsung HD501LJ…500Gb and cheap, FAST and QUIET. Got lots of excellent reviews if you don’t trust one person’s opinion! No RAID is a good call. The review I read clocks it nearly as fast as the WD Raptor…and you’ve got 500Gb!!!

Case = Antec P180. Just brilliant design.

HSF = Scythe Infinity…HUGE heatsink. Two very quiet Scythe SFF21E fans…one on HSF and one on back of case. Loads of air flow and virtually no noise (spotting a theme here?!)

One other thing I learned. Get hold of some Artic Silver thermal paste. Far superior to the stuff you get with the HSF. I also lifted up the northbridge and southbridge HSFs off the board and replaced the paste on those…was shocking how sloppy the manufacturer’s pasting was! Decent paste made about a 5deg reduction in core temp at full load.

Hope that helps some,

Andy