Re: [amibroker] Re: Suggestions for book introducing new users to AmiBroker

Hi Angelo --

I have not heard of other Introduction to AmiBroker being written.  Can you please post a reference to information about it?

Thanks,
Howard

On 6/14/07, Angelo <ima_cons@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard Bandy" <howardbandy@xxx>
wrote:

> Should a book present the basics in enough detail so that everyone
can
> get started and use the most common features of AmiBroker? Or
should
> it present all of the features of AmiBroker, even though that will
> make the book longer, heavier, more expensive, more overwhelming to
> new user, and very likely to slip out-of-date quickly?
>
> I am leaning toward the former -- a book that presents the basics in
> enough detail to get everyone started and reasonably proficient. My
> thoughts are that AmiBroker is having its set of features expanded
> regularly, and that no printed text can stay current and explain
> everything, including screen captures and examples. Covering the
> basics in detail is more valuable to new users than covering topics
> such as Custom BackTester and creation of dlls in an introductory
book.

> I believe that there is a place for, and there may be a market for,
> book describing the advanced features of AmiBroker. But I am
thinking
> that is a separate book.

Hi Howard,

it might be too late, as it seems the book on Amibroker basic is
already a work in progress, but my 2 cents suggestion was in line
with your thoughts: INSTEAD of a book on the basic, why not to write
a separate and book that treats more complex things?

Things like Custom Backtester, pyramiding, scaling in - out, equity
curve trading (in more detail) ..... you name it.

And - if I'm more or less like the average AB's guy - that would be
more interesting that a book that teach AFL starting from ZERO (of
course, maybe it's just me, other people' opinions are welcomed).

I see very few questions about CBT on the list (compared with other
subjects).
So, chances are, the reason is one of the following:

a) most AB users are using it and find no problem at all;

b) most AB users don't really know how to use it and they don't even
come close to understand how they would be using it.

What do you think it is more likely, A) or B)?