[amibroker] Re: Amibroker file format?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "foginthehills" <andrewdelin@xxx>
wrote:

> Thanks very much. I am trying to figure out how to make industry
> sector available as a field against each stock in Amibroker. My
data
> feed arrives in Metastock format which doesn't have such a field.
(I
> have the industry sector information in Excel/CSV format).

Articles on the various GUI and easy paths will be at the UKB when it
becomes public.
There are two semi-auto ways to do this.

I assume you will be happy with what is available at the ADK link
given to you by Tomasz.

If you just want to look at an AFL method, out of interest, send me
an email and I will send you back an early draft copy with AFL code
for the path > import to watchlists from a .CSV (already part of
watchlist menus) > AFL code to semi-automate transferring watchlist
members to any market/group/sector/industry (not all at the same time
though).
(It is in partial writing so expect a few days wait).

Otherwise wait for the UKB - CategoryAddSymbol and ASCII method will
be in a tutorial at that site.

> I want to be able to determine the sector of any stock from within
> AFL. Any ideas on how to do this? You mentioned the SQL interface,
> are there any relevant examples of this for sector or similar?

No.

It is not a popular general interest topic.

Some are using it but no one in the forum has posted specific
examples of applications so far.

I haven't tried it but feedback is reasonable.

Ability to *read* multiple fields is on the to do list.
Once that comes, IMO, SQL is the suprerior method for those who want
to mix and match data sources/sector classifications etc.

Report back from Matt was that Microsoft SQL is a bit clunky and
Tomasz is recommending MySQL (less overheads to drag around or
something like that).

I think this is Tomasz's favorite

http://www.mysql.com/

Brian.