[amibroker] Re: OT: Yahoo data downloads

Hello Ronald,

When I started the topic I was wearing three hats; I thought that AMI
needed a tool for downloading Yahoo symbol lists for the various
markets (mainly USA but including international), I considered it
best to do that in a way that enables users to carry out their own
future maintenance and I also saw it as a training opportunity.

Dingo and Jim have exceeded my expectations several times over and
offered to help with an exe and public code, so the first two needs
have been served plus some.

Dingo contacted me yesterday and we are talking offline.

Initially I wanted to tie a training project to his code but I agree
with Dingo that it involves a level of complexity above that required
for training.

I agree with you that project based learning is a very effective
method.
I have been encouraged by the effectiveness of Tomasz's approach
where he provides a template, say for automating industry
classification, and I follow along from there.
I find that as a novice I can walk straight into scripting just by
tweaking a couple of lines in the template and who knows what will
follow.
Tomasz tricked me into becoming a programmer and I didn't even know
it, until it was too late.

I did want to see something that would act as a starting point for
learning the programming techniques used in *programmes* like Dingo's
and Jim's.

It is still on the table.
I believe we will do it at a community level at some point.
It may not be in time for you.

To give you an example about one area where Ami is quietly developing
along *newish* lines that fits with this topic.

Behind the scenes a handful of us are talking over the set-up for a
User Knowledge Base. It isn't entirely new, as it is just an
extension of Tomasz's current approach and similar to the AFL library
except that it comes with pictures and a few other differences.

I have started writing a series of articles on different ways and
means to use Yahoo data.
I chose that subject because I support Yahoo data as an important
part of the Ami platform; it's free, universally available and
extendable all the way up to trading application for some users,
depending in personal preference.
It makes a great medum for demonstrating the main features of aB and
anyone can download the data and replicate the training example, at
least at the time of writing.

So far I have written or planned articles that start with performing
some basic database tasks, using the example data installed with Ami,
and progressing through updating to a current database>basic
customisation of a database(use CategoryAddSymbols)> more advanced
customisation (ASCII import)plus basic automation >heading towards
advanced customisation.

It is amazing what can be done with Ami/Yahoo with a very limited
knowledge of programming languages.

My expertise starts to tail off at or before advanced customisation.

However the UKB is not intended to be static.
Other contributors can build on my starting material and
critique/correct it, rewrite part or all of an article, write a
separate article that covers something that I haven't or make a
contribution that extends the level into advanced or creative areas.
The sky is the limit.

In this case, Dingo came along the trail and offered his waterbag for
a drink when we were thirsting for some advanced Yahoo, so *we* have
jumped straight to super customisation i.e. a stand-alone program
with shared source code.

Dingo can develop it further alone or with the help of others.

Herman is a very strong campaigner for joint code effort and that is
the area he is working on building into the UKB.

So for Yahoo data applications I believe I have made a reasonable
start by collating and re-presenting existing material from various
sources; help, message boards, newsletters etc.
Dingo has put an advanced piece in place.
We just have a gap in the middle where the training moves from ASCII
and basic automation to an executable program.

Somewhere along the line we will fill that gap.

Thanks for the links.

I will have a look for myself.

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ronald Davis <xokie7@xxx> wrote:

>   This is just the kind of project I have been hoping to find.
>
>   I have no scripting experience at all, but next week, I am
starting a home study of scripting.  The links below came up
instantly on a google search, so I am sure that I will have no
problem finding enough study material.

>   If this yahoo data project involves a huge amount of repetitive
typing of symbols, then I would like to join in on developing the
thousands of sub routines that are probably, required.  I learn best
when I am working on a project that will benefit me. I am willing to
devote a substantial time to this project.

>   I know that the time of experienced scripters  is valuable, so
would ask a question only when I can't find the answer in a google
search.

>   Maybe there are others wanting to learn at least a little about
scripting, and would be willing to dovote a substantial amount of
time to helping.  Ron D

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid6
8_gci1077544,00.html

>   http://www.asptutorial.info/

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20376/20376.html

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/beginner/firstste
ps.mspx

>   http://webdeveloper.com/javascript/javascript_beginners_guide.html
>
>   brian_z321 <brian_z321@xxx> wrote:
>           --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@> wrote:
> >
> > Check your mail.

> Why did your name spring to mind when I said *kind hearted
> scripters*? ;-)
>
> I'll look into it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.