[amibroker] Re: Installed AB, now have some questions

Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.

When Jim posted an update approx two months ago I decided to follow
the topic as free Yahoo data is of interest to a lot of Ami users.
It has generated a few questions and the most relevant answers have
been posted in topics based around Jim's posts and also in other
topics.
One way to find the topics is to follow my posts of the last month or
two as I joined all discussion relevant to this subject.

Since it is such an important part of the Ami platform I will recap
the main points for the benefit of new users:

I tested the setup from Jim's site without any problems and
downloaded 10 years data in approx 8 hours.

A significant % of stocks had missing quotes.
99.9% of them were .OB stock.
It is a Yahoo issue and nothing to do with Jim.
In a post in a topic authored by Whitney* there was discussion on
ways of bulk deleting those stocks including tools>database purify.

The Jim setup classifies symbols according to the Yahoo/Hemscott
system.

Users who are interested in stocks that have been delisted or have
had name changes etc might want to research providers from the help
manual data providers list and also from the list in the group files
section Fdata folder/FundamentalDataProviders.

Answers to your questions below.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "petermkc" <petermkc@xxx> wrote:

> Now I had the time to look again at the Yahoo data download. I found
> jswindle's Yahoo template which I downloaded and installed and then
in
> Amiquote selected to download data from 1900 till today.
>
> The result seems to be the same wether I use the Yahoo template from
> jrswindle or the one from the Amibroker web page. You wanted to know
> which the symols were with the message:
>
> "Error during download. Yahoo! - 404 Not Found. Either symbol is
> incorrect or there is a problem with the data vendor's site"
>
> Here they are:
>
> ^NDA
> ^NFA
> ^NNA
> AAAB
> AAAC
> AACE
> AAGI
> AAGIW
> AAII
> ABANP
> ABBK
> ABBKP
> ABF
> ABFI
> ABGX
> ABJ
> ABMCW
> ABRI
> ABS
> AC
> ACAI
> ACAM
> ACBAW
> ACDO
> ACK
> ACLA
> ACNAF
> ACR
> ACRI
> ACRN
> ACTR
> AD
> ADEX
> ADIC

It looks like you have merged Ami's US-stocks database with JRS's.
This probably occurred because they both use the same database name.
That's my guess anyway.
This could be the result of not deleting the original US-stocks
database before installing Jims over the top.
As I said, I am guessing.
Maybe you have given an example of one way to merge databases.

I have uploaded a file to the root of the group files section:

US-stocksJRS

It shows the symbols in the JRS setup as at 4/5/2007 in worksheet one.
In worksheet two the list is sorted and in worksheet three only the
symbols with no quotes are listed i.e. 560/8649
All except one are OB stock.
The exception ^MSCISC is an index which Yahoo recognises and reports
as having no historical data available.

The stocks you listed are not in the .xls list based on Jim's
download so they did not come from there.

Examples:

Yahoo reports ^NDA as an invalid symbol, AAAC is now used for AAAC.OB
and ABJ has no stock matching this symbol.

> I will stop here as there are many more. I can go manually through
the
> list and delete all those symbols.

Tools>database purify will speed that up for no quotes or use the
cleanup script file from Ami for symbols with missing quotes.

Brian.