[amibroker] Re: Trendlines displaced after split

This is an interesting discussion.  Maybe I can offer a unifying perspective.  According to one financial theory (auction market theory), stock markets are dual sided auctions where buyers and sellers determine fair values of stocks through their buying and selling.  The current price of a stock reflects all the current actions of all the buyers and sellers at the current time.  The market participant actions are based on their perceptions and future expectations for the stock or the underlying company’s prospects.  As long as the buyers and sellers expectations stay the same, a stock price tends to fluctuate around its current fair value price.  When a stock price is perceived as cheap relative to its current fair value, buyers step in and buy.  When a stock price is perceived as expensive, sellers step in and sell.  Whenever perceptions change, buyers and sellers will move a stock price until a new fair value price area is found.

So what does all this have to do with a stock split?  Well a stock split is an event that can change the perceptions of market participants about a stock (for whatever the reason).  There is the mechanical/accounting side of a stock split that does nothing to the total market value of a stock.  However a stock split (or more correctly; the announcement of a stock split) does cause many market participants to take notice of the stock and perhaps change their perceptions and future expectations.  It’s not a bigger float that brings in more market participants; it’s the changes in perception triggered by the change in float event.  Companies that split their stocks are generally perceived as growing companies.  A stock split is an event that alerts a company’s growth to current and perhaps additional market participants.

Since a stock split can change market participant perceptions, a stock’s fair value can change because of a stock split.  If the perception changes are large enough, then trend lines can also be affected.  If the perception changes are not large because they are perhaps already well known and discounted by the market participants, then trend lines may not change.  It should also be noted that trend lines are very timeframe dependant.  A stock split announcement may change 5 minute timeframe trend lines greatly but not affect a trend line on a yearly chart at all.

I don’t think I’ve said anything about a stock split that was not said in the previous posts, I just restated ideas using the auction market theory as a framework.  The framework personally gives me a simplified structure to explain what’s going on in a market or a stock.  I know that perceptions can be irrational (especially when they don’t reflect my beliefsJ) and markets can move counter to what I expect.  However I do take notice of events (like economic reports and company announcements) because they do cause changes in perceptions and thus change prices.  As a trader, that’s what I want… changes in prices.

Regards,

David