Re: [amibroker] Re: AB charting improvements (revisited)

Brian,

I have been involved in efforts like this before.  They seem to
succeed only when the company supports the idea and either hosts the
site or provides active links to it.  Since AB is a dynamic product,
keeping documentation up to date is an ongoing effort.  Look for
example at the Wikipedia.  It would actually be possible to put the
index I want in Wikipedia, along with extra documentation.  The
problem will be keeping the links up to date.  A more modest purpose
built site would of course be preferable.

The most important thing is not the knowledge base (this list is a
great knowledge base), but the means to make the specific piece of it
available to the inquiring user.  The way the information is indexed
is the true measure of its usefulness.  You want to be able to drill
down a tree from general to specific topic.  That is the real
challange.  Right now, the associative index is in the minds of the
knowledgeable helpers here.  That will always be needed at some
level, but half the frustration of new users could be removed with
the right indexing.

Now I want to say this about Tomasz.  He has done a fantastic job on
AB.  He has also provided better support and special documentation
and videos for his customers than almost anyone I have encountered.
I will not fault the efforts of one person who has done so much for
his users, who of course are insatiable in their demands.  Bravo Tomasz!

However, resources are not unlimited and he has to prioritize his
efforts between fixing bugs, adding new minor features to current
versions, and major product rewrites to follow a visionary road map.
And lets not forget helping new customers find the answers to their
ignorant start-up questions.  How to choose?  One minor request
granted now could conflict with the future grand plan.  To much hand
holding now, and no time left to make the documentation better so
less hand holding needed in the future.

Revolution language has similar problems as AB in this regard.  One
thing they did was to institute a voting system.  Every user has 100
votes.  They can use as many votes as they want for the suggestions,
or redistribute as desired.  The ones with the most votes are
considered more carefully than others, because the developer knows
the interest level of his users.

Dennis