[amibroker] Re: New Yahoo Database

Thanks again Jim,

This is a good start, I will start this little project soon then...
My goal would be: the data would be just like the way I am doing now,
all the scans are done and the database would have all eod data from
yesterday when I look at charts. I just need to go through a short
list of stocks as the results of automated scans.
I don't really care how many stocks get deleted/added each day
either, if we download and refresh the database everyday then I guess
we don't need to worry about this problem.

Gary.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrswindle2001" <jr.ab@xxx> wrote:

> I used to do the same thing when I had Bloomberg too. The Yahoo data
> is pretty good, but does have its problems of course.
>
> I usually run my updates about 2 hours after the markets close. It
> would be nice to know how many stocks get deleted or created each
day,
> but I have never checked. I don't think you will see many changes
from
> day to day, but month to month probably a dozen or so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary" <ghost200_2000@> wrote:
> >
> > OK, I see what you mean, I should do the same thing then.
> > I am currently downloading data from Bloomberg machine, there is
> > script that would automatically extract data from Bloomberg.
> > I get data for Bonds, Currencies, ETF, Futures and Mut.Funds.
> > Now the Bloomberg subscription is expiring in a couple of months
and
> > there is no plans on renewing the subscription, so I will have to
get
> > ready for new data source. I just need EOD data.
> > I don't think I would have problems getting ETF data from yahoo
as
> > long as the ticker is supported by Yahoo.
> > The problem was more with stocks, since everyday there might be
> > possiblity of stocks getting deleted/added to AMEX,NYSE and
Nasdaq.
> > I gues your method of extracting data would be sufficient for me,
> > just need to automate the whole process.
> > Base on your experience, when would be the best time to run the
> > process, would it be early morning the next day or night time
after
> > trading? Did you get pretty realiable data from Yahoo?
> > I will try this method before considering paid data provider, and
see
> > how far I can go with yahoo.
> >
> > Thanks again Jim... ;)
> >
> > Gary.
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrswindle2001" <jr.ab@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Gary,
> > >
> > > I use an old Visual Basic 6 program to start at the top level
> > > (sectors) and get all of them. Then scan through those getting
all
> > the
> > > industries. Then scanning through that list and getting all the
> > > symbols. Finally scanning that list to get all the data for the
> > > symbols. So a total of 3 passes and parsing data from the Yahoo
web
> > > pages on each pass. And yes, it is all Yahoo data.
> > >
> > > What kind of list of US Stocks are you looking for? Are you
looking
> > > for each and every US Stock? Quite a bit there I would imagine,
and
> > > no, no idea where it would be.
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> > >
> > > Jim