RE: [amibroker] Re: Ranking trade signals before entry day

Title: Message
Thanks, I have to admit, the code is beyond me, I'll have to study more.  Does the code just fit staight into my system code or is it more complicated than that?

-----Original Message-----
From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of vlanschot
Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2007 9:03 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Ranking trade signals before entry day

Perhaps this ranking function is of help to you:

function XSecRanksVarSet(List, Crit, Lookback)
{
global PercRank;

if (Crit==1) CurrInd=RSI(Lookback); else if (Crit==2)
CurrInd=ROC(C,Lookback);

for (j = 0;( Naam = StrExtract( List, j ) ) != "" ; j++ )
{
SetForeign(Naam, True);
if (Crit==1) ChoiceVar=RSI(Lookback);
else if (Crit==2) ChoiceVar=ROC(C,Lookback);
VarSet("PeerInd"+j, Nz(ChoiceVar,LastValue(MA
(ChoiceVar,Lookback))));
RestorePriceArrays();// to get out the influence of
SetForeign
}
Rank=1;

for (i=0;( Naam2 = StrExtract( List, i ) ) != "" ; i++ )
{
if (Name()!=Naam2) Rank=Rank + IIf( CurrInd >
VarGet("PeerInd"+i),1,0);
//if (RankCrit==0) Rank=Rank + IIf( CurrInd >
VarGet("PeerInd"+i),1,0);
//else Rank=Rank + IIf( CurrInd < VarGet
("PeerInd"+i),1,0);
}

PercRank=Rank/i;

return Rank;
}

PS

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "David Smith" <david.smith5@...>
wrote:

> Hmm.. I understand your approach I think, but it still looks to me
like the
> ranking using ref-1 only used a previous value for rank & will only
be
> applied to successfully entered trades only. In terms of reseverd
equity, I
> have a broker (I am trading CFD's by the way) who will take any
number of
> limit orders & won't reserve capital for them, they just stop
entering
> sucessful limit orders when the equity is used up, so I don't want
equity
> reserved. I have heard it can be done....there must be a way !
>
> Dave

On Behalf
> Of Edward Pottasch
> Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2007 8:14 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Ranking trade signals before entry day
>

> PositionScore is not after the fact if you use e.g.
>
> PositionScore = ref(50-RSI(15),-1);
>
> So setting up your backtest this way the backtester will ensure by
itself
> that you will not enter more positions then the backtester is setup
for.

> As for an entry on the limit: I wrote code for that a while back.
The trick
> I used is to entry a "void trade" if the limit is not hit. The
backtester
> will then set apart funds for this trade and therefor will not
enter another
> trade. For this "void trade" the entry and exit are at the same
point. So
> then in the backtest you will only pay commision for this trade not
> affecting the backtest very much. See attached image. The "void
trade" is
> shown as a square. The buy limit is not hit. Still the backtester
will use
> this trade because the entry and exit is at the same point in time.
>
> I'll post an example later,
>
> Ed