From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Wes Smith
Sent: Tuesday, 20 February 2007 10:51 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Backtesting Calculation - Real Time 'state'
information.

Actually, I do not think you can do what pmxgs wants in AFL.

AFL recalculates all variables on every tick/pass thru the formula. This
happens with every new 'tick' when using a Real/Time data source.

This isn't an issue with an EOD strategy, but in RealTime.. it's a huge
issue.

For example .. if you need to know if the LOW or HIGH happens first, then
you would need to record or 'latch' this event and have it available to your
formula on the next intraday 'tick'.  You can't just set a variable for
this. The next intraday data tic.every tick will reset/recalc all variables.
.. effectively  erasing our knowledge that the LOW-Hit event happened first.

You might think that the flip() function would do the job .. but it suffers
from the same problem.  It's only valid on bar close.
The only way I know of to do this is with a staticvar.. and that's pretty
cumbersome.    And I'm not sure if they are even evaluated during a
backtest.

There's a long chain of posts over in the amibroker-at group about this
problem.
http://finance.
groups.yahoo.com/group/AmiBroker-at/message/2191

I'd love to be wrong about this.. so please chime in and correct me if you
have a solution !
(And fwiw, a solution/fix for this problem  would go to the very top of my
list vs any new charting features!!!)