[amibroker] Re: My First system

Sursod,

Looks like I can't copyright and sell *my* theory afterall.

You've given away the equivalent of one average trading text book in
a single forum email.

Thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge on RSI and cutting to the
chase on derived indicators.

You have vindicated my views on the value of the Ami community.

Salute,

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sursod" <sursod@xxx> wrote:

> Elder warned against going too far out in "derivative of
derivative"
> indicators in his book "Trading for a Living", my main worry about
> these kinds of indicators is losing sight of correlation with price.
>
> I think whether double derivative indicators have more lag time
> depends on what indicator (normalized, bound, .... etc) and how we
> use it. Lag time can be beneficial when it screens out undesirable
> noise and synchronize well with other indicators, or it can be very
> bad if it makes us buy tops and sell bottoms. Either scenario can
> happen, sometimes seemingly at random.
>
> I will use RSI and SRSI to illustrate how derivative indicators can
> both be leading and lagging. RSI is similar to Lane's Stochastics
> except it does the smoothing before the formula calc giving it an
> angular chart pattern which I find easier to read. The formula that
> binds RSI also gives it a countertrend bias. At RSI==50 price moves
> RSI equally in either direction, the higher RSI is above 50 the
more
> the same price change will give bigger RSI fall than RSI rise, and
> the opposite is true for below 50. The shorter the RSI period the
> more pronounced the bias. After a sustained bull or bear run
putting
> RSI in it's outer limits the very first retrace will move RSI in a
> big way, making RSI breakout happen much sooner than price
breakout.
> Stochastics of RSI (SRSI) exaggerates this countertrend bias as it
> moves faster and becomes bound sooner. A system using SRSI crossing
> RSI, or SRSI==100 or 0 as benchmark for RSI breakout (SRSI goes to
> 100 or 0 when RSI makes new highs or lows within the SRSI period)
> can signal as fast as the first bar of price retrace.
>
> If the retrace is shallow and price continues up or down the same
> timely system can become the worst laggards. The double
countertrend
> bias has pushed SRSI to the opposite limit of 0 or 100 while RSI
> remains a good way above or below 50 on the opposite side of the 50
> divide and far from SRSI. A continuation price move will give small
> RSI steps and therefore small SRSI steps, small steps and big
> distance means SRSI will take a very long time to cross back in
line
> with price. How long depends on the details of price pattern, a
> function of how it zigs and zags and the size of each zig and zag.
> Pot luck.
>
> My observations are based on ER2 15 minute bars. Does the same hold
> true for other instruments and time frames? Yes and no, a lot
> depends on details of price patterns and price patterns when seen
as
> numbers can have close to infinite variations, not to mention the
> large permutation of indicator parameters.
>
> Brian wrote, "On the other hand, I do have a bee in my bonnet about
> the absolute rubbish that is put around about trading on the net."
> I think it's because anything and everything is both true and false
> all depending on context, anyone can get away with uttering
> anything. And the industry of Guru Speak is born, thrives and feeds
> many people.
>
> "On the other hand, I appreciate that it is *a cheap shot* to make
> contrary statements without any supportive argument. At some time
in
> the future, when I can do a proper job of it, I might lay out the
> arguments to support some of the statements I have made about stats
> and system design etc. and give the forum a chance to make their
> critique."
> Please do. BTW my remark about valuing the Pardo book does not mean
> I think you made unfair comments about it. Not at all.
>
> "If we standardise to binomial terms 63% wins is very good if we
are
> considering a coin toss (win value = loss value)."
> I think 63% win is phenonmenal, 50-50 coin toss is more the norm,
> but what do I know. The straw I grasp is at 35% win I need 1.9
AW/AL

<halliday_mo@>