RE: [amibroker] Re: Have been trying to accomplish this with amibroker

Hi,

One of the questions here may be: "How can I create the data structure
against which to run this code if my data provider doesn't provide that
structure?"  The tree structure depends on having the correct assignment to
market/industries/sectors/groups in the first place.  And those assignments
in some cases change every day as companies move between markets and
inclusion in different indexes or their classification changes.  Amibroker
supports analysis of a tree structure, but the data provider must provide
the information that identifies how the tree is built.

Setting up the tree structure is required of the data provider.  AmiBroker
is not the data provider, it is an analytical program.  Most paid data
services (including AIQ), provide updates daily that move the tickers to the
appropriate places in the tree and make sure that the data structure is
correct.

If you are using a free service which does not organize the data for you,
then you become the data provider and must organize the tickers you are
tracking into the correct tree structure.

If I am not mistaken, AmiBroker provides for a three level deep tree (folder
structure within symbols).  This means that wherever you start the tree
(Super-Sector, Sector, Industry Group, Industry) - you can only organize
down two levels below the starting point.

I don't know about all data vendors, I can tell you that we have been
working with one data vendor to build structures that support the kind of
analysis that we are discussing.  That is
 http://www.PremiumData.net <http://www.premiumdata.net/>  .  They are now
providing a 2 level structure for the broad markets including sectors and
industry groups.  They do not capture super-sectors or industries because in
the large data base, sectors is already a level within AmiBroker structure
in the 3 level limit.

We also asked that they provide the S&P 1500 work space to provide a large
cap data base of sectors and industry groups which allowed us to build
indicators on liquid issues rather than relying on the total data base which
may include very illiquid small cap issues.

They also provide a structure for Forex and Futures.

They have indicated their desire and willingness to provide structures with
more levels if the AmiBroker data symbol structure is redesigned to provide
more levels in the tree.

I hope this may help to resolve the question here.  Thomazs is absolutely
correct that AmiBroker will analyze circles around sector and industry data
- but AmiBroker is not a data provider - so you must first provide AmiBroker
the data to analyze.

Best of Luck.

Mike

  _____