From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Fred
Sent: Saturday, 7 October 2006 12:48 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Polynomial Trendlines

TJ,

I have long since had FFT capability in AFL as the algorithms are
very straight forward and relatively simple to do in AFL. However
FFT's typically require LOTS of data relative to the cycle lengths
one is attempting to identify and do not provide particularly good
resolution at the lower frequencies. From this perspective tools
like MESA ( The algortihm, NOT the black box product ) provide much
greater resolution with much less data.

However, neither of these approaches is what I'm after at this
juncture ... What I'm after is the ability to do trigonometric curve
fitting in a similar way to what the PolyFit AFL I posted performs
linear curve fitting i.e. via the solution of simultaneous
equations. This involves some rather sophisticated ( at least from
my perspective ) math which can be found for example in Appendix 6
of J.M. Hurst's book. Since the discussion there is only about 3
pages I'd be happy to post it or email it to anyone who has an
interest and is so inclined if they'd like to read it and comment on
how to implement it.

Fred

PS ... Some final thoughts about FFT's and their implementation in
AB ... If you are going to provide this capability, please do so in
a manner that one can take advantage of ALL the information that
would be the product of performing an FFT i.e. both the real &
imaginary arrays or a single array of complex numbers and the
ability to deal with complex numbers in AFL. This is needed not
only to get amplitudes at particular frequencies but also phase
shift and power.

PPS ... IMHO a DFT type implementation that does not require the
data being anaylized to be a power of 2 in length would be superior
to a Cooley-Tukey implementation even if run time is a little
longer ...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,

ps.com, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@>