[amibroker] Re: Anyone still using Windows 95 or 98 ?

Tomasz,

Thank you for sharing your plans on future AB developments regarding
the pertinent operating systems.  I think the idea of
maintaining 'backward compatibility', while being able to disable 'XP-
only'-type features that will only function on the most recent
operating systems is an excellent one, and your decision to implement
this concept, in my opinion, is VERY prudent!

As for my 'kind words', you certainly have EARNED them, and I
passionately feel that you DESERVE the praise and gratitude that I've
expressed.  I know that MANY, MANY others on this forum have
expressed similar sentiments in the past....I'm just one
more 'afficionado' to add to your growing list of people who
acknowledge and are appreciative of your form of 'Better World
Work'!!  A 'toast' from the heart: "May you continue to share YOUR
wonderful talents with those of us whose talents are expressed in
other ways...".

Take good care, Tomasz......Till later and another time.....

Buzz

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Buzz,
>
> First thank you for your kind words.
>
> Right now there is no need to worry about dropping Win 98. I was
just checking.

> In the past I have already added some "XP-only" features
> but I was doing it in backward compatible manner,
> so program as a whole continues to run even on Win 95.
>
> I am going to continue for some time. If anything is going to be
dropped
> it would be Win 95 first. Microsoft dropped support for it as of 31
December 2002.

> I may add some more "XP or higher features" but keeping
> ability to run the program on older systems (with these new extras
simply disabled).

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Windows 98
> > platforms, that whatever the most-recent and final version of AB
that
> > HAS BEEN developed to work on W98 WILL continue to operate on
that
> > OS?  I would think so, and if truly the case, then whatever
features
> > are available in that particular version will likely be more than
> > adequate for my own particular purposes.  Other than a
> > few 'conveniences' that I might suggest for modifying
the 'command'
> > buttons on the AA screen for backtester user-selected 'defaults',
and
> > possibly allowing the user to re-arrange columns (and save
settings
> > as 'defaults') on the backtester report, any other enhancements
NOT
> > workable on W98 are not likely to be crucial to my use of AB.
> >
> > I see no reason to 'throw away' perfectly usable 'old' systems
that
> > continue to work just because there exist newer, more 'bells and
> > whistles' systems, whether they be OS's or applications, as long
as
> > these do what I need.  For example, I am quite happy using even
AB
> > version 4.7x for my purposes.  Fortunately, I am a programmer-
type
> > user, and since AB is of an 'open architecture' design (THANK
YOU,
> > Tomasz!!!!!), whether I can run future versions or not (due to
> > removal of support on older OS's) is less important to me right
now.

> > My preference would be for AB to continue to be developed for use
on
> > Windows 98, but if you, Tomasz, see a need to do otherwise, I
fully
> > support your decision as you need to do whatever is in YOUR best
> > interest for business purposes.  You have given us users so much
> > already, and I for one, am VERY GRATEFUL AND APPRECIATE of YOUR
> > dedication, astute vision 'of' (and 'for') AB, and your technical
> > expertise!!  Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!! (;->) (;->)
> >
> > Buzz
> >
> > -------------------
> > Buzz M. Ross
> > Creative Consulting Co.
> > Boulder, CO 80301  USA
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to know if anyone of you is still using
> >> Windows 95 or 98 with AmiBroker.
> >>
> >> I am asking because Microsoft has stopped supporting
> >> Windows 95 and 98 few years ago and none of current
> >> MS development tools support them making development
> >> for large system base difficult (currently AmiBroker works on
every
> > release
> >> of Windows starting from Windows 95 upto most recent Windows
Vista).