[amibroker] Re: Advice on Populating New Set of Industries

Don

This thread has been helpful.  Thanks

After I rename the "broker.*" files in AB do I use the 2 broker
files in Hemscott or your file herein.  Your file seems to be a MS
Word file as I look at it on my computer.  Is that an informational
file and the Hemscott is a working file(s)?

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Don Lindberg
> Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 20:21
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Advice on Populating New Set of
Industries

> Grover,
>
> You may not have done it right.  You have to put the
broker.industries and
> broker .sectors file in the root of AmiBroker (ex: c:\program
> files\AmiBroker\) BEFORE you create you new database. This is what
> establishes the structure of these areas of your database. The
only time
> these files get used is at the time of creating a new database.
The rest of
> the time they just sit there doing nothing. If you didn't have
them in place
> before you created the new database, delete it and start over.
>

> As to the numbering of an Industry, this one gave me headaches
until I
> figured it out.The number for Industry 175, will not correspond
with the
> numbering in Hemscott.  Here is how it works.
>
> The names in the Broker.Industries list are associated with the
> Broker.Sectors list.  Theree are 10 items in that list. All lists
in
> AmiBroker start with 0, so the Sectors are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 . 0
is
> assigned to "Unassigned", 1 is assigned to "Basic Materials", etc.
The
> number you see in the Broker.Industries list before the Industry
name is
> merely telling AmiBroker what Sector that Industry belongs to.
That's why
> you only see numbers from 0 to 9. So how do we tell AmiBroker what
Industry
> a particular stock belongs to when we run the script?  We count
the POSITION
> of the industry name in the Broker.Industries list. Thus ALCO
(Aluminum
> Industry) would be assigned a number of 8, as Aluminum is the
eight name
> down in the list!  A stock that belonged to Beverages - Soft
Drinks Industry
> would be assigned a number of 20. And so on. So the numbers in the
Hemscott