[amibroker] Re: Scan for Bulkowski's chart patterns

I understand what you are saying and I understand and use a variety
of pattern recognition and other techniques in my trading, but I'm
not sure I understand WHY they work and frankly I don't care ...
Instead I'll contend that proper testing of techniques go a long way
to letting one know whether or not ones techniques are likely to work
at the hard right edge.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sebastiandanconia"
<sebastiandanconia@xxx> wrote:

> I wasn't really talking about useless, lofty metaphysical or
> philosophical "whys", but practical ones.:)  TA-based indicators can
> be heavily lagged or even fail outright just like economic and
> fundamental ones, which is the reason the "why" is so important.
>
> For example, Jerry said he's been using triangles successfully for
> years.  Why do they work?  Because they capture a repeating market
> behavior, the tendency of momentum in a particular direction to
> continue.  Deeper down, they capture a repeating psychological
> behavior, the unwillingness of certain traders to quickly accept
that
> they're wrong.  Their slow, gradual acceptance is what maintains a
> trend, and when they're finally all convinced, the trend ends.
>
> My point is that unless a trader understands the underlying
principles
> of why something works he may just be following a bogus system that
> works for a while, but will eventually screw him.  I'm sure that you
> and other careful, conscientious traders here get this, but not
> everyone reading these posts does.
>

> Luck,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <ftonetti@> wrote:
> >
> > While I would agree that for the most part indicators and systems
are
> > not the cause of price action, imho good indicators and systems
are
> > designed to recognize high probabilty realities burried in
noise ...
> > As far as the why's are concerned ... I already know a myriad of
> > reasons it's not like all economic and fundamental data which by
> > their nature lag not only reality but price as well.  One could
spend
> > a lifetime looking for the answers to the why's and never derive
> > anything useful for trading / investing.  As a result I'll leave
the
> > why's to the philosophers and concern myself with the when's and
the
> > what's.
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sebastiandanconia"
> > <sebastiandanconia@> wrote:
> > >
> > > "...I suggest it is not due to limitations of our equipment,
but
> > simply
> > > a system that is no good as it is explained..."
> > >
> > > That's precisely the conclusion I've come to, and it's all
Tomasz's
> > > fault for building AB and making such testing possible.:)
> > >
> > > If I can strain your chess analogy a little bit, the edge that
> > > grandmasters have is that, of all the potential moves available
> > them
> > > they can quickly recognize the critical ones and focus on them,
> > > excluding all the others as unimportant "noise."
> > >
> > > As traders, that's what I think we should aspire to.  A stock
> > doesn't go
> > > up because a 5-day EMA crosses above a 20-day EMA or because the
> > > directional movement index is positive and the ADX is greater
than
> > 30.
> > > Those indicators coincide with the stock's uptrend but aren't
the
> > cause.
> > > Neither is the cause to be found in linear regression, Gann
angles,
> > > Fibonnaci numbers, etc.  What is the cause, then?  Theorize,
and
> > then
> > > test the theory for validity.  That's when we can start to learn
> > > something.  Otherwise, all we're doing is testing random data
for
> > > patterns that are only meaningless coincidences, like the
Superbowl
> > > Theory.
> > >
> > > And that's enough sermonizing from me.:)
> > >

> > > Luck,
> > >
> > > Sebastian

> > the
> > > mind of a Grandmaster, with the instant "pattern recognition"
they
> > > possessed was very difficult. It took many years before the
> > combination
> > > of computing power and programming finally got rolling. Now we
have
> > > programs that will beat you like a borrowed mule. It is easy to
> > grade
> > > these programs as they have ratings that prove how good they
are.
> > During
> > > this same time frame, we now have the computers and programming
> > > really back-test and prove a trading theory might have worked
in the
> > > past. We can go buy a book, program it, and discover it doesn't
> > produce
> > > a reward/risk worth trying at all. Now in the old days, the
> > Grandmaster
> > > would say "I only think one move ahead, but it is always the
best
> > move."
> > > We found a way to mostly brute force find the same move, but
when
> > we try
> > > to program one of the successful traders systems, the back-test
> > does not
> > > pan out. I suggest it is not due to limitations of our
equipment,
> > but
> > > simply a system that is no good as it is explained.

> > > systems with a magic ranking process that could produce an
overall
> > > winner, I feel safe in saying no one can come up with an
example
> > they
> > > would share.

AREN'T