From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Yuki Taga
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:25 PM
To: Ara Kaloustian
Subject: Re: [amibroker] OT: Windows XP

Hi Ara,

There are physical drives and logical drives (paritions that are
divisions of the same physical drive). Putting apps and data on a
logical drive D that is on the same physcial drive as drive C will
get you some organizational benefit, perhaps, but very little if
anything in the way of performance benefit.

Putting your apps on a separate physical drive might provide some
benefit. Usually having the pagefile on a separate physical drive
will provide some performance benefit.  It depends on the speed of
the drives, and how much memory you have, and how much pagefile you
need or use.

But creating logical drives D and so forth on the physical drive that
is also the system drive (C) is basically an organizational thing.
Some people are happy to back up data only (a presumed drive D), and
not worry about the OS (they would re-install it).  Other people
(like me) don't want the hassle of a zillion OS settings lost, and
they want C and D, and anything else, backed up. For them, there is
little benefit of logical drives on the same physical drive, assuming
a single physical drive that is where the system lives.

That said, I have a C, D and E on one physical disk.  Not for
performance at all, just for organization that relates to the way my
mind organizes things.  But I have 5 physical disks, and only a token
pagefile on C, the main ones are on two other drives.

Yuki

Tuesday, August 15, 2006, 3:50:07 AM, you wrote:

AK> Am trying to decide how to for my Hard Disk (for new machine).

AK> With my Win 2000 I had all applications and data in drive d: and
OS in drive C:.   I am not sure if I got any benefit from having the
applications on drive d:.

AK> Now considering putting OS and all applications on C: and data
on D:.

AK> Will probable also have multiple boot.

AK> Appreciate comments on why one way or the other.

AK> Thanks

AK> ara

Best,

Yuki