[amibroker] Re: Help with latest IQFeed Client

ggoom,

I don't know if you have followed earlier discussions about IQFeed.
It is wellknown that IQFeed is (still) an unfiltered feed.  Historical
intraday time series, stored on the IQFeed servers, are calculated by
 tick data aggregation.      Since the tick data is unfiltered, which
means that it can include bad ticks,  this results in historical
minute data time series which can have a lot of erroneous bars, also
referred to by many users as "spikes".     In particular,  IQFeed's
historical minute data for very actively traded stocks often includes
these "spikes".

As for historical time series with timeframe daily, they are not
calculated by unfiltered tick data aggregation, therefore the data is
much cleaner.   Only the last (= rightmost) bar displayed in the
Amibroker chart is calculated by aggregating all streaming quotes
received during the trading session, which means that it can be wrong
if Amibroker received some bad ticks.

DTN's Jay Froscheiser has repeatedly promised improvements to IQFeed's
historical server architecture for (more than) 2 years already.  But
nothing has happened so far if I'm not mistaken.   I suppose that, as
far as the API is concerned, things move only slowly too.

Nevertheless, IQFeed is not totally bad, and it holds good promise if
certain improvements are eventually implemented.   Personally, I'd of
course love to get much cleaner data, but at present I stick with
IQFeed simply for the fact that I can watch the movements of a large
number of stocks in realtime (using timeframe "daily", not intraday
bars), for a much lower monthly price than a comparable Esignal
subscription would cost.

I do not do much minute data charting, given that I don't have the
time for daytrading anyway.    So whether IQFeed could be a feed for
you, it depends on your exact requirements and trading habits.

If clean data is important to you, for charting or to run trading
systems, and if you don't need a high symbol limit, my recommendation
would therefore be NOT to chose IQFeed right now and stay with Esignal
for the time being.

Hope it helps.