[amibroker] Re: Help with latest IQFeed Client

Thomasz,

> I wrote already that I will revisit the IQFeed plugin because they
released...

I would highly appreciate that.    In the meantime users who want to
run Amibroker with IQFeed to display realtime charts with timeframe
daily (rather than just intraday/minute data charts) can still use the
old IQFeed plugin 1.5.5;  of course with an old IQFeed client
connector (IQFeed 2.3.0.1).    This old plugin has the wellknown
problem that an attempted backfill might suddenly hang forever, but as
already discussed here on this board and given your credible
statements, TJ, the "hanging backfill" problem is very likely caused
by inadequacies of the IQFeed API.  I think you remember the question
whether it would be possible to add some sort of timeout handling and
re-attempt a backfill request after a timeout expired.  It
was a legitimate question, but please note,  you're asked such
questions because you have expertise as developer, and not with the
the intention to blame you for such problems or with the expectation
that you fix the problems DTN is responsible for!

As for the currently latest IQFeed plugin (1.6.0) offered on the
Amibroker website, it would be usable in daily timeframe mode if the data
mixup issue was fixed.   As described, from the user's perspective it
looks as if this problem has nothing to do with the IQFeed API but
more with the way how the IQFeed plugin handles concurrent access to
its internal data structures, when quotes/time series are requested
in daily timeframe mode both from Amibroker's normal charting window
and concurrently from the auto analysis mode.

Also, another issue with respect to IQFeed plugin (1.6.0) is whether
the plugin can cope with requests for invalid symbols.   Or put
differently, is it ruled out that the plugin can get into an invalid
state when there are backfill requests for invalid or expired symbols?
This is only a question, not a reported problem.

And last but not least, if I remember correctly, IQFeed plugin 1.6.0,
together with IQFeed API 4.1.0.0, did not solve the "hanging backfill"
problem, but if "data mixup/concurrent access" issue was solved, it
would be usable and users could migrate from the old IQFeed plugin
1.5.5 to a newer one.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wrote already that I will revisit the IQFeed plugin because they
released
> new version of API that they say fixes a lot of old problems and I
will need to work on it anyway. Then I will