[amibroker] Re: On Fundamental data import

P.S

My gut feeling is that you pulled the wrong rein and made a mistake
on some aspects of that one (well actually you did pull the right
rein but now you need to pull it again and a bit harder this time).
As you well know, I can't give you any technical reasons.
To me the AB 'internal' database is the foundation of core
functionality.
I think that is what some of the users are telling us when they say
they like artificial tickers.
If I was in your shoes, and considering that you laid the foundation
years ago, I would have opened the AB database right up with
additional builtin and user defined arrays.
Let us see AB in her full glory the way she is meant to be.
I don't agree that would be cluttering AB up with stuff that would
hardly be used.
Remember, users are becoming much more sophisticated at a rapid pace.
What would have seemed too much information back in 95 is now taken
onboard without a break in stride.
Never underestimate people.
If you put on the show the public will come.

I admire you for openly telling the truth about your program and
also explaining your reasoning as that honesty is an optional extra
and not mandatory; you are one of a rare breed that's for sure.
More power to you Tomasz.

I am also very happy with the universal database plug-in.
As you say it permits 'flexibility allowing individuals to extend
> its functionality. And here you are limited only by your
> > imagination'.

I am also happy that, while we agree to disagree on some issues, I
now know what your guiding philosophy is and I can manage my affairs
around that.

BrianB2.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian.z123" <brian.z123@xxx>
wrote:

> Thanks Tomasz,
>
> I have been speculating about that stuff for a while now so it is
> relief to get presented with the facts and have it all cleared up.
>
> BrianB.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > The reason why fundamental data implemented in AB are current
only
> are as follows:
> >
> > a)
> > Yahoo nor any other free source of fundamental data does not
> provide historical values
> > for majority of fields.  The idea behind new fundamental data
> functionality in AB
> > was to couple it with a method to actually RETRIEVE this data
> automatically.
> > Since only current values are available from Yahoo, so there was
> no point in bumping
> > database size for functionality that would be left unused for
most
> people
> >
> > b)
> > The idea was to help scanning (stock picks) based on
fundamentals
> only.
> >
> > Backtesting systems based on fundamentals requires 20+ years of
> data to make any sense
> > (because they change so infrequently - otherwise you would have
> too small data sample to make results resonable).
> >
> > Since AB target user base is not really that long-term
investors,
> and there are no
> > free data (see a)) it made even less sense
> >
> > c)
> > The idea was to add functionality without growing database - AB
> database format was prepared
> > for fundamentals since day 1 (May 1995) but there were no method
> to access these fields.
> >

> > As to SQL advantages: using external database
> > a) you have unlimited number of custom fields of any type
> > b) you can store less frequent data effectively (if you have
> quarterly data using external database
> > you would store just 4 records per year)
> > c) you can access these data from external ODBC-aware programs
> >
> > Overall the general idea of AmiBroker is as follows:
> > a) core functionality is provided internally + means to easy
> update from FREE sources
> > b) extra functionality is provided by means of plugins /
external
> sources / scripts
> >
> > This design ensures that
> > a) AmiBroker is not bloated with stuff that almost no one is
using
> > b) AmiBroker delivers flexibility allowing individuals to extend
> its functionality. And here you are limited only by your
> > imagination.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tomasz Janeczko
> > amibroker.com