[amibroker] Re: On Fundamental data import

Thanks Tomasz,

I have been speculating about that stuff for a while now so it is a
relief to get presented with the facts and have it all cleared up.

BrianB.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The reason why fundamental data implemented in AB are current only
are as follows:

> a)
> Yahoo nor any other free source of fundamental data does not
provide historical values
> for majority of fields.  The idea behind new fundamental data
functionality in AB
> was to couple it with a method to actually RETRIEVE this data
automatically.
> Since only current values are available from Yahoo, so there was
no point in bumping
> database size for functionality that would be left unused for most
people

> b)
> The idea was to help scanning (stock picks) based on fundamentals
only.

> Backtesting systems based on fundamentals requires 20+ years of
data to make any sense
> (because they change so infrequently - otherwise you would have
too small data sample to make results resonable).

> Since AB target user base is not really that long-term investors,
and there are no
> free data (see a)) it made even less sense
>
> c)
> The idea was to add functionality without growing database - AB
database format was prepared
> for fundamentals since day 1 (May 1995) but there were no method
to access these fields.

> As to SQL advantages: using external database
> a) you have unlimited number of custom fields of any type
> b) you can store less frequent data effectively (if you have
quarterly data using external database
> you would store just 4 records per year)
> c) you can access these data from external ODBC-aware programs
>
> Overall the general idea of AmiBroker is as follows:
> a) core functionality is provided internally + means to easy
update from FREE sources
> b) extra functionality is provided by means of plugins / external
sources / scripts

> This design ensures that
> a) AmiBroker is not bloated with stuff that almost no one is using
> b) AmiBroker delivers flexibility allowing individuals to extend
its functionality. And here you are limited only by your
> imagination.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com